Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Qhy8/9

Hi Everyone,
Well after a few months of trying to decide wich CCD to buy, I still am not sure, do I go for the 8 or the 9. My scopes are Celestron C8, orion ED80, orion ED120. these are the scopes I will be using for astrophotography.
Any info would be great.

Regards Peter
Old 28-12-2009, 09:32 AM
netwolf

If you get the Hyperstar for the C8 then the Qhy8 or Qhy8pro would be the ideal match. I like the OSC's for the simple fact that you dont have to pay for filters and filter wheels and can still achieve great results. There a fair number of examples of results with a C8 hyperstar with Qhy8 that are just awesome.
Old 28-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Hagar (Doug)

I gather you are talking OSC for both cameras. If this is the case the final decision is yours to make. The two cameras should do a pretty good job on these scopes. The QHY9 will be better suited to the ED80 while the QHY8 will be better suited to the C8 and ED120. That said the two CCDs are quite diferent. The 8 has a Sony CCD which is takes images with very little noise allowing you to use without darks for much of the time while the 9 will require darks all the time.

The 8 relies on the front filter to seal the CCD chamber while the 9 has a sealed CCD chamber.

The CCD is larger in the 8 than the 9 giving a wider field of view than the 9.

Cooling on the 8 is constantly on at full power while the 9 has a computer controlled setpoint system for cooling.

It's up to you and I can understand your dilema.
Old 28-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Yes, dilema indeed. The prices are quite similar right now and need to make the right choice to which CCD I buy...........The headache continues.............
Old 28-12-2009, 10:51 AM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

If you go for the QHY8-pro, you will get tec regulation within 0.1C according to --->>> http://web.aanet.com.au/gama/QHY8_II.html

Only the price tag has gone up a fair bit because of regulated cooling etc.
Old 28-12-2009, 10:59 AM
gbeal

What a quandary to be in, aren't we lucky these days?
Is there a used one (read cheaper) that you can buy and try? I had the QHY8, and for a OSC camera it is very difficult to beat. Great value for money. In essence though, both would make you (and me) very happy.
Gary
Old 28-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Ok, let me get this right, Both Are OSC

The 8 has little to no noise, dark frames generally not required, full voltage cooling, larger pixels, great for longer focal length scopes, chamber sealed by nose peice, 6.3 mp

The 9 has noise, Requires dark frames, chamber sealed internally,
adjustable cooling, smaller pixels, slightly smaller size CCD sensor, less feild of view, 8.3 mp

ok, Now is there anything else I havent considered.

Regards Peter
Old 28-12-2009, 11:58 AM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Did you have a look at the specs for the QHY8-pro?

Little to no noise, OSC, tec is regulated, chamber is fully sealed, 6.3Mp.
$2800 plus shipping.
Old 28-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Hi Martin
Put price and cooling aside for now, Are you saying that the Sony CCD sensor (QHY8/8Pro) is preferable to the Kodak CCD sensor (QHY9)?

Peter
Old 28-12-2009, 02:40 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Is the QHY9 colour camera released yet? On the Gama Electronics site it states that the camera is not yet released. Only the mono camera is available.

I sent Theo an email a while ago and he stated the 'Kodak 8300 color sensor is still no match for the Sony.' The Kodak sensor is used in the QHY9 and the Sony in the QHY8.
Old 28-12-2009, 02:49 PM
dcalleja

Anyone have any view on the new Orion Parsec? Same sensor and appears to be regulated. Not sure of the the price differential though
Old 28-12-2009, 03:50 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Peter with the Kodak sensor you have to take darks everytime.
But if you make a darks library you have no problems because with the qhy9 you get regulated cooling.
So normal qhy8 no regulation and no darks.
qhy8-pro regulation and no darks.
qhy9 regulation but have to make darks.
qhy8 and pro is most of the time no darks.

I am going for a qhy9 mono myself because of the allround use you get out of it (ha, oiii, etc.) and the filter wheel comes with it and the lrgb filters

Hope this help you.
The choice is yours in the end.
It is just a pity there is no qhy8 mono with filterwheel, that would be awesome (no darks and allround).
Old 28-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Gama

Hi guys , hope you all are having a good break
Lets get some info answered for you's..
First, the QHY-9 currently selling is the MONO, and comes with a filter wheel and LRGB filters. The QHY-9C (OSC Color) has not been released formally, although pre release models are available to certain testers/buyers (Only cosmetic differences).

The Sony Superhad CCD has lower noise, Full well depth, etc than the KAF 8300C (Color).
That said, dont drop the thought of a 8300C sensor all together.
Any Kodak KAF-8300C fitted OSC will still knock your socks off, and produce really good results.
But as some have said, it will benifit some more than others.
This is also what is ultimately the final decision, what benifit is it to "Me" the user.
Buy what you can afford, that will do what you need it to do.
Beauty is, at current prices, ALL manufacturers KAF-8300C models have the potential to put some serious horse power in the hands of beginers and advanced users alike.
Helpful information can "Only" be obtained by actual users, and here now lays the source of that info, and not here say.
Hope you guys have a great new year too .
Just a question, why do people insist on "Noisy" kids toys as Xmas pesents. Man, the noise level here now in my house has just shot thru the roof since Xmas day. .

Theo

Last edited by Gama; 28-12-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 28-12-2009, 08:31 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Yes Peter - have you seriously considered going mono? Depending on how intimidating the extra data collection and processing is to you, it should theoretically win for final image quality and flexibility of options as Martin says.

(confession - I've just given in to temptation and ordered one too....)
Old 28-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Tilt (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
The QHY-9C (OSC Color) has not been released formally, although pre release models are available to certain testers/buyers (Only cosmetic differences).
Is there any info on the official release of the QHY-9C, next 6 - 12 months? Or sooner?

Michael
Old 28-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Gama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
Is there any info on the official release of the QHY-9C, next 6 - 12 months? Or sooner?

Michael
January is the release im told, and i'd say mid January at the latest.
Like i said, its just lipstick and makeup stage now. Hardware/software is finished.

Theo.
Old 28-12-2009, 09:26 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

If you're wanting to go a colour CCD, you can not go past the QHY8/QHY8 Pro. Given the scopes that you intend to use the camera in, the QHY8's 7.8 micron pixels are a good match across all the focal lengths, and the QHY8's spectral response is better than the QHY9 Colour..

Technically speaking, they are relatively equal cameras, your focal lenght and imaging style are really the deciding factors... If I were in your shoes I'd go for the QHY8-Pro. Regulated cooling makes it a better option than the standard QHY8, its smaller form factor also puts it ahead.. The Sony sensors are regarded as the lowest noise in the industry, I used a QHY8 for about 8 months and loved it. Very easy to use, great value for money and the results speak for themselves...

Alex.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:30 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Sure the 8's are user friendly OSC cameras that are easy to set up and run whilst the 9 is a little more complex in set up and use as well as being more complex to process the data (getting it sorted slowly) but........ no competition I am afraid, the detail extracted by the 9 lays the 8 to waste even if on paper the opposite seems to be the case. The ability to effectively use narrow band filters in the city wins the day (try SII on a OSC, I have....). OSC cameras are nice but mono are better.

Mark
Old 29-12-2009, 12:39 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Mark, the original poster was more interested in the colour QHY9 vs the QHY8 I think...

When comparing the QHY8 vs the QHY9 OSC, the QHY8 is the better of the two providing you dont "require" the smaller pixels of the QHY9...
Old 29-12-2009, 12:46 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Mark, the original poster was more interested in the colour QHY9 vs the QHY8 I think...

When comparing the QHY8 vs the QHY9 OSC, the QHY8 is the better of the two providing you dont "require" the smaller pixels of the QHY9...
The point is mute Alex, at this time the QHY9 colour does not exist outside of the small group of testers and is thus not available. The OP asked about the 8 and 9 (both of which I have owned) and I answered accordingly. Will the 8 outgun the OSC 9? On paper yes, in reality ????????

Mark