Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Batfink (Peter)

collapsible or solid

I'm considering purchasing a 8" collapsible dob by Skywatcher, it's $90ish cheaper than a solid 8" dob, so is there any major disadvantage to a truss dob, stray light etc?

Thanks

Peter.
Old 13-06-2009, 09:58 PM
astro_nutt

Hi peter!
If you're worried about the stray light..get a shroud made up..I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that can help you out.
Cheers!
Old 13-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Robh (Rob)

Peter,

I have a Meade truss Dob. Advantage is it's portability for transporting in a vehicle when disassembled (in your case, collapsed). Also, easier to carry assembled by holding a truss and the base of the scope. Provided you don't intend viewing under a street light or flood lit backyard, I haven't found any problems with stray light. And as yet, haven't needed a shroud to stop dew on the primary.

Only disadvantage is you have to collimate every time you move the scope but you soon get quick at this. Takes me less than 3 minutes usually.

Regards, Rob.
Old 13-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Jone5y (Steve)

I'll add another vote for the collapsible option. Having owned both a solid tube and truss design scope, the added portability of the truss design has come without the addition of any significant problems. As Rob has already mentioned a collapsible tube will require collimation after transport, but this is good practice anyway when using a solid tube (at least give it a check).

Best of luck with your decision

Steve
Old 14-06-2009, 11:10 AM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Another vote for the truss/strut scope.
I have the 12"Lb, and being able to break it down into smaller pieces makes all the difference when packing the gear into the car.
I've seen people trying to manhandle a solid (12") tube, it looks painful!!
The only collimation I have to carry out is a couple of tweaks of the primary knobs, a minute at the most.
And on a couple of occasions, I've put the scope together, slotted in the Chesire only to find that the scope was still spot on!!
So don't let the bogey of collimating a truss/strut put you off buying one of them.
Their only drawback to the solid tubes is the price. But it is a small price to pay for portability.
Old 14-06-2009, 11:28 AM
mozzie (Peter)

hi peter i own a 8"collap dob skywatcher as a sacond scope to take to star parties and camping portability is the reason for collap it only takes a minute to colliminate it and stray light really hasnt been a prob all in all a great scope for the price
mozzie
Old 14-06-2009, 12:05 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I would have to vote for the Collapsable. If it were fully extended I would have no end of trouble on my own.

I made a trolley for it described on the Projects section, and also made a car carrier provides a solid base to hold the scope while travelling.

Couldn't do it with a solid.

If I lived in the country then I would buy a solid tube in an obs
Old 14-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Batfink (Peter)

Thanks everyone, looks like a collapsable one will be arriving within the next week or so.
Old 17-06-2009, 02:13 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

The only caution on collapsible scopes is if you ever intend to mount it on an equatorial mount for photography later. The collapsible ones are not suitable for that use, otherwise you would have rocks in your head not to get one.
Old 17-06-2009, 11:12 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Although I have no intention using my DOB for EQ mounting I was told that a EQ mount is or will be available. This is what I was told but yet to be confirmed.

Apart from being quite heavy the EQ mount should no problems being mounted without flexing as it would have the same flex stresses as in a DOB configuration.
Old 18-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Batfink (Peter)

Well I have no intention of doing any photography, money being a big issue, but I'm happy to say I'm making a trip to Sydney this Saturday and picking up my nice shinny new Skywatcher 8" collapsible dob, so looks like the bad weather will continue for another week or so.

Thanks for all your comments.

Peter
Old 18-06-2009, 03:27 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Haven't had a good look at the stars for at least 1 1/2 luna cycles. Looks like its going to be another one at least

Hope you get some clear weather to have a play with your new toy.