Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2009, 06:47 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review: Meade 12" Deluxe Lightbridge

Mark Nesti has kindly written a laypersons review of the Meade 12" Deluxe Lightbridge.

You can read the review at the IceInSpace Reviews section, or directly by clicking on the link below:

Laypersons Review of the Meade 12" Deluxe Lightbridge

Thanks to Mark for writing the review. If you'd like to contribute a review, article or other content to IceInSpace, please Contact Us.

Last edited by iceman; 07-05-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:14 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review uploaded.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Robh (Rob)

Mark,

The thing that stands out in your article is the enthusiasm with which you talk about the telescope and the interest it has created. I bought the standard version of the Meade 12 inch some three years ago and it also opened up a whole new world for me. The quality of the scope, the optics and its portability, make it good value for money. And it does force you to learn how to collimate very quickly.
Targeting Pluto already, I'm impressed. Venus can be a blinder! As you say, Jupiter and Saturn are always spectacular to look at and inspiring. Don't expect to see too much in Saturn's rings, nor the large gap within the rings (Cassini Division), as they are almost edge on.
You're son is thinking how lucky he is to have a dad so interested in the subject! Some nice pics of the scope.
Your review has an infectious enthusiasm.

Regards, Rob
Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM
xnomad

I agree with Rob, great review. Mark you sound like an old hand who really knows his stuff and not like the beginner you claim to be.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:42 PM
PCH (Paul)

Same goes for me Mark, - a great review.

I enjoyed hearing about your enthusiasm for the hobby too. Keep it up
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

There's a breathe of fresh air in that review - and it brought back alot of memories. It's great that you captured how it affected your whole family.

Eta Carina, Orion and the Tarantella should look great through your scope, but its funny how the first target always seems to be the Moon, then Jupiter and Saturn. Friends who first ask me about astronomy all query what the moon looks like - and my preferences surprise them - view it when its no more that a 1/4 full - too see the craters best and secondly I greatly prefer to not view it at all - so that I can see the dark sky objects. About one year in to the hobby the moon went from an object of wonder to the search light that ruins my viewing! All the difference that perspective and what you're trying to do makes.

One thing for sure but - keep your family involved - and you'll get alot more enjoyment out of this hobby. Add warm clothing, comfortable / height adjustable viewing chairs and combine it maybe with camping out - and your thrill and joy from this will only grow!

Cheers,

Matthew
Old 12-05-2009, 09:56 PM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

mark are you reading this?