Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 PM
joshman (Josh)

ideas/designs for a DIY collimater

hey guys, i'm in need of some designs/ideas for a DIY collimater. my mate has a MEADE newt. that's in need of a collimation, however he has negatory funds in which to purchase one, so if anyone out there has ideas/designs on how to collimate without one, or to build your own collimater, i'd be well pleased to hear them!

thanks!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 PM
hickny (Peter)

build your own collimator

Hi Joshman,
Here is a web site http://www.lymax.com/cosmicone/collimator/
that I found searching with google. Earlier this year I attempted to make my own laser collimator with ideas from http://web.telia.com/~u41105032/koll...i2.htm#mklaser
I used some old electrical conduit. A lot of fiddling around but had problems getting the pieces to stay inplace. In the end I purchased a laser collimator from Andrews Communication.
Hope you have more luck.
Peter
Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

Josh, you can use a 35mm film canister with a couple of holes drilled in the cap and the base, I don't have the exact details but I feel sure that you will find them on the net, I would be inclined to collimate by this method and then do an initial check with a pro built unit to see if you are on the right track.

Greg.

Not all film canisters will fit a 1.25" focusser, so shop around.
Old 13-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Glenhuon (Bill)

I made my first one with a film canister, worked pretty well. Drill a small hole in the centre of the cap, 1/16" is good, cut a neat round hole of about 3/4" diam. in the bottom, don't cut the bottom off as suggested elsewhere, that way you preserve the stiffness off the canister. Get some thin copper wire to make cross hairs and glue it over the bottom hole so they cross as near the exact centre as possible. Voila!! instant collimator

Cheers
Bill