Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-06-2005, 07:57 PM
cristian abarca

Introduction

Hi everyone

Just a little introduction about myself. I have been attracted to astronomy since I was a kid. Last Christmas my wife decided I needed a hobby as I was spending too much time involved with work. She created a monster. I have a 150mm short tube newtonian on an equatorial mount. A very modest setup. I am currently grinding a 250mm mirror (I am up to the 500 grit about half way there), which I will turn into a telescope within the next three months. I want to get a good view of Mars. I'm learning with this mirror .I intend to make a larger scope as soon as I finish this one. I also have a philips ToU webcam and I took my first pictures on the weekend, after making my own adaptor. My images were pretty lousy so I will be asking for help as soon as I can work out how to send attachments (Pictures). I'm not very computer savy. I'm also not very good at collimating a telescope but I keep on trying. You guys have a good set up here it feels cosy and welcoming.

Regards Cristian
Old 15-06-2005, 08:02 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

welcome to the forum cristian, enjoy the company but beware of the cow.
Old 15-06-2005, 08:24 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

A warm welcome, cristian. You've picked a great hobby. How long have you been grinding the mirror? For your collimation prob. try this>> (http://skyandtelescope.com/printable...ticle_790.asp).
You'll get lots of help here re; Astrophotography as well. Lots of knowledgeable people to assist.
Have fun & enjoy your stay. L.
Old 15-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Orion
Obsessed

Welcome cristian
It's good to see that someone still likes to push class. Have you had any problems with the grinding, it gets tricky towards the end.
Old 15-06-2005, 08:48 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Hi Cristian & welcome to the club!

Well done re: the mirror. It takes a certain breed to make your own primary mirror.
Old 15-06-2005, 08:56 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Cristian,

Congrats. Not too many mirror grinders around. I got taught how to do it at our society but it's not for me. Too much patience needed LOL.

As a beginner of sorts it would be great if you can get to the IceInSpace Star Camp we are having up near Ballarat in October. Amazing how much you can learn hanging around like minded people for a few days. I am even looking forward to learning heaps.

Keep us informed of you progress.
Old 15-06-2005, 09:07 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Cristian, you've come to the right place if you want advice, there's plenty here, no guarantees on accuracy though. Did you come of your own accord or did Mike poach you from elsewhere??
Old 15-06-2005, 09:22 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Christian. Question away. We'll do our best
Old 15-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Jonathan

Welcome to the forum. Have fun grinding the mirror....
Old 16-06-2005, 12:01 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

G`day and welcome to you Cristian.
Keep popping up in here and you will have lots of fun and lots of learning as well.
Are you able to post some pictures of your grinding progress for us.?
Old 16-06-2005, 01:19 PM
cristian abarca

mirror grinding

Hi guys

I bought the mirror three months ago and started quickly. it took me about thre days to reach the depth 2.2mm. Progress stopped for a month because I wasn,t sure which stroke to use. Four weeks ago I started the fine grinding and roughly doing 1 hour a day on average (sometimes I go berserk and do four to five hours other times when the sky is clear I do nothing). I estimate that it will take me about two weeks to get through the rest of the grits. I did have a setback when a chip came of the edge and almost ruined my work but I went back a grit and remedied the problem. It took me about three hours of grinding to repair. Because I am a painter by trade sanding is second nature to me and I find it easy. I will try to post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to.

Regards Cristian
Old 16-06-2005, 01:52 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Welcome to the madhouse cristian.

I have often thought about grinding a mirror but been a bit too worried about stuffing it up. Anyway, I saw a demo at our local club meeting last night and am enthused now. I would look forward any pictures and test results you can post.

Keep on rubbing.
Old 16-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Orion
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristian abarca
I did have a setback when a chip came of the edge and almost ruined my work but I went back a grit and remedied the problem.

Regards Cristian
Hi cristian, you might have to touch up the bevel around the mirror to reduce the chances of that happening.
Old 16-06-2005, 06:49 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

grinding your own!
you should fit into this nut house well then
welcome aboard!

... er what cow?
Old 17-06-2005, 08:40 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey cristian! How did you find out about us?

Hope you enjoy it here and come back often! Good luck with your mirror, can't wait to see pics. To attach pics, they should be on your computer hard drive, in around 800x600 dimensions and no bigger than 100k.

When posting, click "manage attachments", browse to your photo, click on the photo, click "ok", then click "upload" and "close window".

easy, right?
Old 17-06-2005, 02:15 PM
cristian abarca

Hi Mike

I found out about you guys through the ATM site. Someone there told me about it so I inquired. Usually I don't go on the net till after I get home (after 6pm) , but the flu is running through our home and my next job does't start up till next week so I'm surfing the net. Tomorrow I meet up with the instrument making section of our society and I will find out how my mirror grinding is going. I also want to find out some information about large mirrors as I want to make a large one (50cm). I hope alll goes well and I will try to post some pictures on the weekend.

Regards Cristian