Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-07-2007, 10:04 AM
dukesisking
Standing in the moonlight

hi and filter question

gday,

I was wondering if someone could suggest to me what if any colour filters to use with the different planets, also if I should use a colour filter on nebulas etc. Its just for me too cold outside to experiment at the moment, its set up the scope at 6, wait by the fire for an hour or two then rush out and look for 10 minutes before I'm driven back in.

We bought a small property above Captains Flat (an hour from Canberra - 1100m) 2 years ago, and moved from Finch Hatton, about 45km's from Mackay. This year we've had 2 -10's, about a dozen -5's. I'm dreaming of the tropics...

I was just wondering if colour filters would bring more details of Jupiter, Saturn, the nebula's out?

Cheers

Bruce
Old 19-07-2007, 10:42 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Bruce

to IceInSpace!

I answered a similar question to this in another thread - I'll direct you to that to have a read. If you still have more questions, please feel free to ask away. More than happy to help.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=21719
Old 19-07-2007, 11:37 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Bruce, I've only tried some standard coloured filters on the planets. I can tell you that an observer with younger eyes said the yellow filter brought out a lot more detail on Jupiter whereas my tired old eyes didn't see much difference. I hope to try a nebula-type filter on various DSOs this coming weekend. Eric
Old 19-07-2007, 01:57 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Bruce,

Welcome to IIS

MacKay to Captains Flat in winter!! That is quite a move but the skies would be worth it.

As for your filter question have a look at this site, its a real beaut. My only recommendation is ensure you have GOOD filters if you are going down this track, not cheapies.

Cheers
Old 19-07-2007, 02:06 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcpb View Post
Bruce,

Welcome to IIS

MacKay to Captains Flat in winter!! That is quite a move but the skies would be worth it.

As for your filter question have a look at this site, its a real beaut. My only recommendation is ensure you have GOOD filters if you are going down this track, not cheapies.

Cheers
Hey Rob, I wonder if Susan knows how often we recommend her Filter site

Well, she will now.
I have just sent her an email of thanks for the informative page.
Old 19-07-2007, 07:00 PM
dukesisking

thats an excellent site. I wanted to use the filters to accentuate more/different details.

Its been quite a difference between the freezing flat and the sugarcane farm. In January my brother and his wife came down to stay with us for a holiday, on New Years day he was wearing 3 layers

He rang up the other day to tell me that he's been looking at Andromeda, I wish. But, he never saw McNaughts either so it balances out in the end.

Beautiful skies tonight, clear as a bell.

I've decided to spend some more money on a portable telescope, I've got a 150 * 900 reflector that I bought after being frustrated with the department store thing that my uncle-in-law (is that a term?) bought for a wedding present 5 years ago, but its becoming a hassle dodging the furniture, the dogs, the doors and the wife while lugging it outside. I think I'll go with the cliched etx125, I believe they are quite portable?

cheers
Bruce
Old 19-07-2007, 07:59 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Bruce,

Why don't you just leave the scope, capped and sealed, out in a shed so its easier to get out and is already cooled for observing when you want it?

Cheers
Old 19-07-2007, 08:25 PM
dukesisking

I thought of leaving it in the garage, however one of the doors doesn't close and our spare mattress that was in there got mold on it, so I wasn't going to risk it with the scope. Now, an observatory on the other hand...