Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-10-2006, 05:41 PM
boxy66

Hi all

Hello all

This is my first post here...woohoo!

A bit of advice is sought.... i want to buy a x2 barlow for my 130mm reflector - i've seen one in Astroshop for $48 (optex) - does anyone know if this is a reasonable buy or should i spend a tad more - any suggestions on a good barlow for under $80?

and.... is buying a deep sky filter for my scope worth it? will i see wonderous nebs or should i just save up for a 10" dob.....which i'll probably do anyway (but in the meanwhile i'd like to get a bit of use out of my little reflector).

thanks
Boxy
Old 25-10-2006, 06:15 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Welcome Boxy. Definitely spend a bit more. If your scope has a 2" focuser the GSO 2" barlow does a respectable job in the under $80 range as far as I can tell from a few brief encounters I've had (the non ED one should be fine). Otherwise I don't know of anything under $80 new that performs adequately. I can only suggest the Orion Deluxe 1.25" barlow which was listed at Sirius Optics for $99 last time I checked; Japanese FMC barlow; if it's as good as its bigger 2" brother, it's worth every cent.
Old 25-10-2006, 08:50 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Welcome Boxy, a timely question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss
I can only suggest the Orion Deluxe 1.25" barlow which was listed at Sirius Optics for $99 last time I checked; Japanese FMC barlow; if it's as good as its bigger 2" brother, it's worth every cent.
Are you saying you haven't had a try of the 1.25" Janos? I know you rate the 2" highly and thought I might give the 1.25" a go, if it performs aswell as you say the 2" does, $99 would indeed be a steal....has anyone had experience with this one yet?
Old 26-10-2006, 08:38 AM
boxy66

cheers

Thanks for the hiyas and advice....

Has anyone here ordered scopes from BINTEL? Just wondering about the quality v price. Their 10" dob seems to be a good price compared to, say, a 10" Skywatcher Dob (couple of hundred cheaper)...
thanks
Boxy
Old 26-10-2006, 09:18 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Welcome to IIS Boxy.

A few thoughts on your questions:
  • The barlow is not something to take lightly. Save a bit longer and get a good one and it will serve you for many years to come with any scope you happen to have at the time. In the 1.25" range the Orion Shorty Plus is a beauty but it is about $140 from Bintel so more saving is needed. Remember, a bad barlow is an expensive paper weight.
  • Deep sky filters chew up light as they only pass a small fraction fo the light gathered through to your eye. They work well on scopes of 8" and above with the emphasis on the "above". I use them on my 8" for some objects but I have to be a bit picky. I would suggest you save your money for the barlow.
  • Bintel are great, I have bought lots off them but they are not the only good supplier in Sydney and its worth checking around.

Keep looking up
Old 26-10-2006, 09:33 AM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

Hi boxy

Try to get to an observing night with your local astronomy society and have a peep through other geeks ( I mean amature astronomers) ep's and barlows, then make up your mind. I know there are a few members here that live in your neck of the woods.

Gazz