Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 AM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Uranus

Hi! My first post, so hello everyone...! Just wondering, when searching for Uranus with my 8" Bintel Dob and finding the correct "general vicinity", is it possible to identify it with a low powered EP (I'm using a 32mm or 26mm 2") and then up the power? And second question!: I've had quite nice views of Saturn lately, but when I looked at Jupiter just before dawn a couple of weeks ago, it was not very impressive (I could basically see no detail at all, in fact, it looked about as good as it does through my old 60mm refractor); I thought Jupiter would show up much better than Saturn? Any ideas?
Thanks all,
Shaun
Old 11-09-2013, 11:11 AM
TheAstroChannel (Sean)

If you're trying to observe planets, the turbulence in the air often affects the viewing conditions. If you look at something low on the horizon, you are looking through more atmosphere which can reduce detail of planets greatly. Also if the day has been hazy or really hot, it can increase the turbulence in the air

Also with your question to Uranus, it can be identified with a scope as big as yours with out too much hassle. You just need to know where it is It should be a faint greenish colour, coming around at about magnitude 5-6

When you are looking for Uranus, try look to the side of it as more light can get into your eye which will reveal more
Good luck!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 AM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Thanks for that, very helpful! Also, is it important to cool the scope before use? Does it make much difference?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSALM19.1 View Post
Thanks for that, very helpful! Also, is it important to cool the scope before use? Does it make much difference?
You can start viewing straight away and if the mirror is close to the ambiant air temperature you should be ok. If there is a difference in air and mirror temperature it could take around half an hour to get the best views possible on any given night.

Attached is a screen grab from Starry Night V6.3 Planetarium Software. It will show you the view through a low power eyepiece tonight at 10pm. The view through the eyepiece on a newt reflector will be upside down and back to front. Uranus is the blue green disc in the middle. Location, Brisbane Mt Coot-tha. Altitude 35deg Azimuth 63deg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Uranus - 2200hrs.jpg)
24.5 KB36 views
Old 11-09-2013, 12:44 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Very cool, thanks!