Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-04-2013, 08:02 PM
viking (Max)

Help ascom

I have installed an Orion guide camera but ascom won't connect it asks to asign a protocol to ascom I have no idea how this is doneAny assistance would be appreciated
Old 27-04-2013, 08:21 AM
jase (Jason)

Hi Max, do you have an ascom driver installed for the telescope mount? I haven't had considerable experience with the Orion guide camera but what I suspect it's requesting is a confirmation of the communication protocol the mount uses. i.e. the guider needs to know what commands to give the telescope to move it east or west for guiding. I would however thought that the tight integration of ascom, this information would have been freely exchanged between drivers.
Old 27-04-2013, 11:43 AM
viking (Max)

Ascom help

Yes all ascom drivers are installed correctly, I have a Meade 10"sct but ascom asks to set a protocol for the driver, I am running windows7, I use computers every day but no next to nothing re the internals I am getting totally frustrated as I would like to start into astrophotography but that will be another headache I suspect
Old 27-04-2013, 05:33 PM
jase (Jason)

Astrophotography takes patience and then there's the learning curve which you are experiencing now. Small steps and anything is possible...

If we put the Orion guider aside for a moment. Does ASCOM connect to your 10" SCT? The protocol is likely to be LX200. Are you using the POTH (plain old telescope hub) has the ASCOM hub? I would recommend starting out with POTH until there is a need to coordinate other control activities through a central point.