Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-04-2006, 02:48 PM
BC

I started out a year ago with the same dilemma. I wanted the 10" dob now and the EQ mount later. I got the 10" Bintel and that is working out just fine. I have come to the same conclusion as the most recent posts. It would be better (and cheaper) to have the diversity of 2 scopes. When the urge gets me, I plan to get something like an Orion ED 80 on an EQ5. Enjoy the 10" in the mean time.
Old 20-04-2006, 03:46 PM
drmorbius (Randall)
and mini-Morbius too

Hey 1ponders,

Couldn't help but notice you're a Sunshine Coaster as well. I live near Caloundra and have recently decided to ressurect my childhood passion of astronomy.

I'm looking to buy my first "real" scope and would love to catch up with fellow enthusiasts in the area to have a chat and maybe a look through a scope or two.

Are there any clubs or regular "get togethers" up our way?

cheers!
Old 20-04-2006, 04:22 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

i'd just like to be the first to say...
g'day doc!
Old 20-04-2006, 04:50 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

G'day DrM.
to IIS.

There are quite a few of us in the general area of Southeast Qld and we regularly get together out near Kenilworth at a IIS members place. There can be anywhere from 5 - 25 people there on any given night and probably just as wide a range of scopes. Everything from little etx90 up to and including a 25" and a 30" truss dob. You are more than welcome to join us on the next new moon, 29th April. You will find a Map here and the even will be advertised in The Star Parties and Observing Sessions forum if it already hasn't been.
Old 20-04-2006, 04:52 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

There is an event already posted here Pm one of us on the list for more details if you need them, or do a search form Cambroon. That's where we hold it and there are a number of threads with photos and writeups.
Old 20-04-2006, 11:13 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Dr M as Paul said we have a get together every Saturday closest to New Moon here at Cambroon Observatory, we have a number of regulars from Caloundra area and Sunshine Coast in general, and the greater Brisbane area you are most welcome to come along on the long weekend of the 28th April to1st May.
You can camp or bring your caravan or Matteress and sleep on the floor. Pm me or check the forums on this site.
Old 21-04-2006, 08:13 AM
drmorbius (Randall)
and mini-Morbius too

Thanks erverybody for the warm welcome and the invite. Not sure if I can make the 28th, but I look forward to meeting you all sometime soon.
Old 23-04-2006, 04:26 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Dr Morbius next time I'm in the Altair area I'll look you and Robby up, in the meantime I'm in Caloundra (Aroona actually) and would welcome the chance to make another local friend here.

I will be going out to astrorons place Monday afternoon actually with my brother - that's April 24th, for a nights viewing, if you are interested in following along (my car seats only 2 adults comfortably) let me know.

Steve

PS: One of my favourite movies of all time that, and you may see many "monsters from the ID" if you read these posts a lot!
Old 23-04-2006, 12:43 PM
fremanwarrior

Me too, Forbidden Planet has alway stuck in my mind ever since I saw it on a very late night re-run..

My wife bought it on DVD last chirstmas for me :-)

Sure is a shock when you realise who plays the captain (Leslie Nielson).
Old 27-04-2006, 02:48 PM
fremanwarrior

It arrived today! Really looking forward to putting it together tonight.

Not bad delivery time from Sydney to Brisbane picked up yesterday at 5:30pm and at my door at 2pm today!
Old 27-04-2006, 04:38 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

thats darn quick service!
give us a first light report hey!
Old 27-04-2006, 10:19 PM
fremanwarrior

Put it together a-ok ..... went to screw in the eye piece holder only to discover I had assembled the side panels on the wrong side meaning they were inverted LOL

2nd try was more successful.. I tell you what, those diagrams in the manual are way to small...need a telescope to see all the detail properly.

So out I go to try and align the guide scope which turned out to be a lot easier than I thought, this one had only 2 screw adjustments + a spring loaded one which made the process really easy, I was even able to fine tune it while pointing it at a star. The 'scope' I had been using has a total of 6 adjusters and it took me ages initially to get it right.

So the first thing I line up is Jupiter the clarity difference between this and the $75 Aldi job is incredible. I am also instantly appreciating my decision to upgrade to the 10:1 crayford focuser.

Next was the Jewel Box again the clarity and preciseness of focus was just bril, I was able to make out colour and the centre star of the three middle stars which I had not been able to see previously.

The clouds were moving in fast and was only able to quickly look at the Omega Centauri. What a sight!
Old 29-04-2006, 02:10 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Sounds very promising.

Enjoy!
Old 29-04-2006, 04:41 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

fremanwarrior,

I have heard of flexure in reflectors! Nothing to worry about, unless a breeze turns into a wind. It is caused by the length of the tube. Imagine holding a 30cm stick by the centre with 2 fingers in the wind. Not a lot of movement. Now hold a 60cm stick the same way. You can feel the wind moving it.

Flexure is probably the incorrect name for this effect. But no other name really suits. It is the effect of wind (or a fast change of position) on a long object using a central pivot point.

I have never heard of anyone actually complain about this effect for general viewing or imaging.

I personally have a very long tube 8" reflector mounted on an EQ for imaging and I am about to mount my 12" Dob on the EQ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (8 inch long tube.jpg)
45.8 KB22 views

Last edited by ballaratdragons; 29-04-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:23 PM
drmorbius (Randall)
and mini-Morbius too

Hey Ken... did you add that 12"??? How did it go?

I have yet to purchase a scope, but my plan is to start with the dob and eventually move to the eq... I'll be interested in your experience.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:11 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Doctor Randall Morbidus,

No, sorry to inform you, but the 12" is still waiting for tube rings.

I will be giving a report when it happens though.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

For those thinking of getting there first scope or second for that matter. I read this article and it made more sense than a lot of what has been written past or present.

http://www.astromart.com/articles/ar...article_id=409