Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Newcomer

Hello iceinspace members.

I've been dabbling in astrophotograpy for a while, on-and-off, using a double arm drive, with limited success. But I've been bitten by the bug and want to improve the results I am currently getting.

I'm looking at buying an Orion EON 80mm apochromatic refractor, mainly because the cost of DSLR lenses is very high and the Orion seems built for the job at a fraction of the cost, according to the reviews. It seems that I will also need a motorised equatorial mount. I have a very cheap Alt/Az GoTo that I received as a gift and don't want to double up with an EQ GoTo. I'm looking for mount with good tracking capability. Trading off good drive quality, rather than lots of features for the same price - say, a single axis drive.

Any suggestions as to a good quality EQ drive that will suit the Orion scope.

Last edited by rcheshire; 07-04-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-04-2010, 11:48 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Rowland, welcome!

I'll leave responding to the resident astrophotography experts. But get ready to sell a kidney, a leg and perhaps an arm to fund what you will finally want!

They will want to know what you wish to photograph - the Moon and planets? Really, really faint galaxies and nebulae? The needs vary with your answers, but I'm sure you have already guessed this.

Cheers
Eric
Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM
TheDecepticon

Hi and welcome.
A minimum would be an HEQ5 or an EQ6 Pro. The next step from there would be a Losmanday G8 or G11. From there you could go Takahashi, AP or Paramount. How much do you want to spend, how great do you want your images and what do you want to image at what focal length?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:22 PM
DiamondDust (Ingrid)
One day.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheshire View Post
Hello iceinspace members.

I've been dabbling in astrophotograpy for a while, on-and-off, using a double arm drive, with limited success. But I've been bitten by the bug and want to improve the results I am currently getting.

I'm looking at buying an Orion EON 80mm apochromatic refractor, mainly because the cost of DSLR lenses is very high and the Orion seems built for the job at a fraction of the cost, according to the reviews. It seems that I will also need a motorised equatorial mount. I have a very cheap Alt/Az GoTo that I received as a gift and don't want to double up with an EQ GoTo. I'm looking for mount with good tracking capability. Trading off good drive quality, rather than lots of features for the same price - say, a single axis drive.

Any suggestions as to a good quality EQ drive that will suit the Orion scope.
Hi Rowland, I don't do Astrophotography (yet), I'm just saying and welcome to IIS.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:30 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Big picture.

I think my needs right now are fairly basic and my budget is limited. I am disappointed with the quality of camera lenses, particularly focus and CA, other than that I would be happy for the time being with good optics on my double arm drive.

An apochromatic refractor is purpose built and may satisfy my 'want' of a better lens. It would get daytime use as well. But I can't see it on a double arm drive - it's probably too big for that.

Whatever I get, needs to be portable, quick to set up. Basically, I can throw it in the back of the car and go, or whip out to the front yard for an hour or so. It needs to fit with my busy schedule.

The mount needs to be accurate. I don't want something that is only good for a few minutes. My double arm drive is more precise than that. I photograph what ever I can, particularly nebula, but anything of interest. I would like better resolution of the planets.

So good quality optics, not necessarily big optics, on an accurate drive.

Camera is a Canon 1000D. I use a variety of Linux based image processing software, including imagej, but very much a beginner.

One dealer (Sirius) is offering the Orion EON 80mm and a motorised EQ3-G two axis mount and camera adapters for around AUD 1800.00. Is that a good deal? Is the EQ3 too small?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:45 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Welcome to IIS. My advice would be forget the EQ3!!

HEQ5 or more will give you a good return.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

I think I have settled on the HEQ5 mount - two axis - I will check out prices a little more before committing.

Deciding on a scope is a little more difficult.

So far - Aside from Televue, Takahashi and others in that price range, I have narrowed the choice to the following.
Orion OEN 80mm ED doublet. (Same scope available under several brand names).
Meade 5000 80mm triplet.
Explore Scientific 80mm triplet.
Williams Optics Megrez 88mm doublet (sadly some shortcomings for astrophotography).

It's a mixed bag - the Megrez is the optical choice by name and performance, but some reviewers thought that imaging results were poor and were surpassed by the Orion (receives rave reviews as an astrophotography scope). The Megrez has a poor focus lock and may slip, particularly with a heavy camera near the vertical.

The Megrez and Orion are almost identical in price - just under 1000 (Megrez at Andrews Communications).

Not sure about the Meade and the Explore Scientific.

Have I left any APO's out of the list in the 80mm category.

Why I need a better scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EtaCarinae2.jpeg)
66.0 KB74 views

Last edited by rcheshire; 07-04-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:51 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

There is a Celestron 130SLT on iceintrade going for $500.00 I think which will do a very good imaging platform. I use one too.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

It's an AltAz mount which means that the field of view rotates and is unsuitable for anything except very short exposures. Is that correct?

Thanks all the same.

Last edited by rcheshire; 07-04-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:03 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
It's an AltAz mount which means that the field of view rotates and is unsuitable for anything except very short exposures.

Thanks all the same.
You will need a good mount for astro-photo regardless but the OTA is more than adequate.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Well it seems after a lot of reading and reading (80mm) that the Orion, Equinox and Vixen come from the same factory and are re-badged. Everyone raves about the optics. They are however, ED doublets and produce some CA around bright stars.

The Stellarvue Nighthawk is considered to be a very good scope. It is also an ED doublet.

The Explore Scientific uses a Hoya Glass triplet, which, according to the blurb, avoids some undesirable characteristics associated with fluorite lenses, in the doublet scopes. The ES can be collimated, whereas the others cannot, as far as I can tell. It is also a shorter scope - that's a plus - and a 5 year warranty.
image taken with ES, another, and another

Right now the ES is coming in ahead of the Stellarvue, mainly because of its optical performance, triplet over doublet, but I think that image quality, irrespective of lens style, is more important. Reports on Cloudy Nights say that there is no CA on bright objects and a little on the edges (of the FOV, I presume). FOV is wide (3.3), f/6 as opposed to f/6.5 - 7, on the other scopes. Best resolution is magnitude 12. Dialetric diagonal. 1.25 or 2 inch eyepiece. Illuminated reticule viewfinder.

I think both are made in the US. According to the blurb the Stellarvue is hand made, or at least the product is better quality controlled.

Any thoughts or experience with these scopes? I've read the reviews.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

If you get an 80mm refactor keep in mind you'll need to correct the field so add another $200 to $400. Also 80mm is ok but limit for astro-photo. You'll need long exposure times which can be taxing on the mount. Also in my experience the stock focuser are a bit light and tend to flex so you might replace that too which will be another $200.00. Just things to look for.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Hi multiweb. Thank you - the reality of getting further into astrophotography Can you suggest a good mount. The more research I do, the more disenchanted I get with products, due to their limitations.

I have come to the conclusion that I can spend under 2K and get a good optical scope only to be limited by the tracking performance of the drive. Or put a relatively inexpensive telescope on a tripod that should be carrying a Televue or Takahashi and producing outstanding shots.

I agree, that 80mm is just on the edge. But my intention has been to obtain a camera mounted lens that outperforms off-the-shelf lenses without spending thousands.

Time to regroup and think about what I'm trying to achieve. Self control, because there is some fine equipment out there if your prepared to spend the money - I'm not, at this stage. It would spend most of its time sitting around with my schedule.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I started like you with nothing. I got lucky I got the right advice from the word go and I sunk all my money in the mount. I bought a second hand G11 and I've never looked back. Believe me when I say you'll eventually take very good pictures that you will be happy with on any scope and a DSLR or CCD to start with. The mount is the one simple most important piece of the puzzle. Later over time you'll want to go deeper, change scope etc... but to start get the mount. I'm still imaging with my SLT130 3years later. It came on a AzMount ok. Who cares? It's on a G11 now and it works like a beaut for a $400.00 scope. So why try harder? Then I got a second hand C11. Guess what? The mount can still carry it. You get the idea? I always say measure twice, cut once.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Barrykgerdes

Marc has the best suggestion. There are S/H G11's around now for under $4G. If you want to get into astro photography a very stable mount is a must and an EQ6 is the minumum to aim at but a G11 at twice the price is twice as good. (unless you can get a paramount). The dollar exchange rate makes the G11 a good buy at under $5G

Forget about Optical tubes for the time being just about anything these days will produce professional photos on a good mount. We have got marvelous wide angle shots just using a DSLR camera on the G11 mount.

Give up the useless pastimes like Girls, grog, smoking (or wife and kids) and you will be able to afford a G11 in a couple of months.

Barry
Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Thanks Gary and Marc. I don't smoke, hardly ever drink and have a very understanding wife.

I take your point - it seems that after days of research - just as well I'm on leave - I've come to the same conclusion. The mount is everything.

What do you think of the Kenko Skymemo? It costs around 1k, but it's capacity is only 5kg. The tracking performance is reputed to be better than some Losmandy mounts (gasp). Kenko claim accurate tracking for 70 mins at 50mm and 15 mins at 300mm. How does this compare with a G11 - and what brand would you suggest.

I like the dual camera arm.

Last edited by rcheshire; 09-04-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Kenko claim accurate tracking for 70 mins at 50mm and 15 mins at 300mm. How does this compare with a G11 - and what brand would you suggest.
Not familiar with Kenko. 5kg sounds a bit light to me. Losmandy is a known quantity. When you buys something I think it is also important to see how many people use it so you can bounce ideas around and get feedback on the gear.

Last edited by multiweb; 09-04-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Kenko not Keno .. DOH!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Barrykgerdes

Hi Rowland

I had a look at that Kenko Skymemo. The mechaics look good and it should be OK for a camera but the rest of the mount would not be strong enough to hold anything greater than a camera without suffering some flexure. That is where the G11 would excel. Its tripod is very rigid compared to the cheaper mounts and it will handle quite a large telescope as Marc will vouch for on his C11.

Barry
Old 09-04-2010, 03:01 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

I thought it was a bit light and further research indicates that PE is up to 20 arc seconds.

I have since stumbled upon the Astrotrac - they claim, maximum PE, 5 arc seconds - supports 15kg (shipping is not additional). The blurb and images are impressive - adding it to my line up.

I looked at G11's and compatible types. They look good but they're not as portable as I would like. I sometimes travel for work and would like to take my imaging equipment along with me. I get to some dark locations from time-to-time but need to travel light.

Again it's back to what will fit my needs and provide the best opportunities for astrophotography with the time available.

On a positive note, I've been experimenting with f-stops on different lenses and find, as the photography sites advise), stopping down almost eliminates CA - f11 is quite slow though, on a f3.8 lens. Waiting for a clear night here in Geelong.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
I looked at G11's and compatible types. They look good but they're not as portable as I would like. I sometimes travel for work and would like to take my imaging equipment along with me. I get to some dark locations from time-to-time but need to travel light.
GM8 will do. Widefield cam work and good size refractors. Geoff Smith's on these forums uses one as a portable setup.