Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
jet486

Lost in Space!

I thought that I had a small knowledge in understanding the terminology and practice needed to start in astrophotography but everyday as I read the forums in IceInSpace I get more and more disillusioned. Terms like "stacking" and "Dark" leaves me in the state of giving up altogether but I do so wish to enjoy seeing and photography the night sky. So to my question, can anybody recommend a book/dvd that explains and demystify astrophotograhy to a beginner? As a senior soon to retire I would sincerely appreciate as much help as you good people can spare. Cheers
Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
leon

I can help you out here, and although there are many books available i would recommend, Introduction to Digital Astrophotography, by Robert Reeves, and can be bought from Bintel.

It is a fantastic book and in is written in plain, very easy to understand wording, you wont be disappointed I'm sure.

However they may be other on IIS that could suggest some thing else.

Leon
Old 12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Jet486, Welcome, Don't get too flustered with all the big words or some of the fantastic results you will see on the forum. Astrophotography is a huge learning curve which is best eaten in little bits. You will learn a lot quite quickly but you must not rush it. Remember the only person you have to impress with your images is yourself. Taking it bit by bit at your own pace you will notice huge improvements in a relatively short time. Whats more what you learn will mean something and will be repeatable and improved upon with each speck of knowledge gained.
It is a great and gratifying interest and you will find that even relatively poor images posted will allow someone a chance to point you in the right direction and sometimes in the wrong direction.
Keep at it and dont give up. Rome wasn't built in a day, and Piccasso painted some c##p.

Cheers
Doug
Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet486 View Post
ISo to my question, can anybody recommend a book/dvd that explains and demystify astrophotograhy to a beginner? As a senior soon to retire I would sincerely appreciate as much help as you good people can spare. Cheers
If the learning curve wasn't there it would be all dead easy for everyone, and it wouldn't be as rewarding doing it, as it would present no challenge. No challenge = no fun for me.

I started astro photography before I knew it was called astrophotography, and started by just pointing my then brand new Pentax Super A 35mm SLR (it cost me two weeks wages back in 1982), and every lens I had (all three of them) at the stars and opening the shutter!

That was before personal computers with 'COLOR' monitors and printers, digital cameras, the internet, DVD's and forums. I can remember it taking me 2 weeks to mail my film away before I got back any prints, and 24 prints cost nearly $30, which was nearly a 1/4 of my weekly wage then!

Anyway, I still had a ball thinking up my own projects for years, before I even got a Philip's book on astrophotography.

Just have fun, as the only person you have to impress is yourself!
Old 13-01-2008, 05:24 PM
jet486

Thanks fellas for your comments. So it's just shoot and see/lean. I hope that if I encounter any problems I can rely on the members to help me out.Thanks.
Old 14-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

If you have a read of the titles of various member articles on this very forum you may find answers to MANY of your questions.....

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?projects

Try some of the following in particular:

Taking Great CCD Images
Adding a Webcam to your Telescope
Planetary Imaging and Image Processing
Digital Imaging - Flats and Darks Explained!

There's plenty of others in the Astrophotography section.

Cheers!