Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Shep

Ok I had a look on Google Earth to try a pick the part of the moon. Those 3 dints I was looking at may be Boussingault? Maybe someone here can confirm that?

Yeah it was soon after rising, i'll go back out and have a look in a little bit too? And yep I saw Jupiter as well
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

OK Sarah, here are two challenges for you.

First attached is the star Alberio (where that beige circle is). Try to locate that and have a close look and tell us what you see.

Second attached is a globular cluster M15 - just off the "nose" of Pegasus (where the blue rectangle is). Try this one? Might be a bit harder if you have light pollution. The bright Moon will not help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Albireo.jpg)
87.7 KB8 views
Click for full-size image (M15.jpg)
80.9 KB5 views
Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Shep

I'll have to save those for tomorrow night I've just brought it all back inside and better hit the hay as its nearly midnight! I did look at the moon again when it didnt have the orange glow and I couldnt see any sparkling bits this time. I'll look again tomorrow night too and see if they are back when its orange, my brain is massively dreary now after so much input today lol
Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Where on this image of the Moon was the region that you were interested in?

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=49991
Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Shep

In the middle of the top arc of the moon (if that makes sense) it looks like you can only see 2 of the 3 craters there but that where the flashing, never mind me though i'm sure it was just beginners luck with light or reflections or something with the harvest moon
Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

12 O'clock...soon it'll be 1am, then 2am and then before you know it, you'll be up till 5am and the Sun's rays will be warming the horizon. That's when you know you're hooked

Next thing to watch for is an elongating of your upper canine teeth and an intolerance to sunlight

Once you start taking piccies of objects, then you've gone over to the dark side completely

<queue James Earl Jones talking through a raspy respirator, down a deep toilet bowl>Young one, you have yet to experience the full power of the dark side. Be patient, your time will come soon enough</queue>
Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Shep

Haha yeah, I dont think i'll pull any all nighters soon, but the night sure can slip by fast, I went out again last night at about 11.45 to try watch the moon again but there were too many clouds, I did grab a quick peek at Jupiter again which was good, and then it was 1 am already! I was so tired when I set up but I pepped up as soon as I started looking and only came inside knowing I'd be a write off today if I didnt try get to sleep lol
Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

That's the problem with living up here. For about 6 months it's too cloudy to do anything, and when the clouds do go away on those rare days, the transparency is shot.

That's when you have to make most of the winter and get as much in as you can. So, no more sleepy byes for you next winter