Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Str8upnub (Jake)

more nub questions :)

i have a 6 inch dob atm, was wondering how much better the quality of image would be if i upgraded to an 8 or 10''.

also im wanting to take some photos of the sky at nite and get atleast some color , is it possible to get in image from so an iphone?if i was to hold it upto the eyepeice?if not wat sort of camera do i need?

also last nite i was looking into the nite sky playing around with my 100mw laser at my beach house on the coast in "lorne" pointing out to sea etc, then after 5mins i noticed this metoer shoot across the sky but the weird thing was it changed directions it went from going horizontal to diagonal....kinda like this Lol.

-----------\
.................\
..................\

Last edited by Str8upnub; 17-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Hi Jake,
I have a both a 6" and a 10" dob and while ive only used the 6" once there is improvement in the 10".
But having said that i would suggest getting to know the sky and your equipment first.
It is possible to get images from a point and shoot camera held up to the eyepiece. (see my attached images)those images are from videos processed in Registax.
Im in cranbourne too so there a bit of light pollution around. when i look at The great nebula in orion in both the 6" & 10" dobs i can make out the nebula but not the bright beautifull colours you see in photos, i can just see only a little faint bit of colour even if you call it that.
I suggest going to the Morning Peninsula Astronomical Society, there is a another public viewing night this friday, I should be there with my 10" dob
if the weather is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (jupiter.jpg)
6.5 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (jupiter2.jpg)
7.4 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (saturn.jpg)
9.0 KB24 views