Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Modex (Graham)

First night last night, plus shopping list

Hi all,

Great community here!

Took possession of my first scope yesterday (birthday present from my wife), a Bintel 8" Dob. I've always had an interest in astronomy, so took the plunge.

Had a good session last night here in Melbourne. I got a good look at the Moon, Saturn (picked up the rings), Alpha Centauri, and a quick look at Jupiter. Very happy with the decision to pick this up as a hobby, and the images also blew away my wife.

After last night, and having a look at the forums, I'm going to pick up:

Chair (back was killing me)
6mm eye piece (I want to get closer to the planets)
Red torch
Lens case

I did have some problems spotting some stars with the viewfinder, but I imagine I will get the hang of it.

It was a scope or an iPhone for the birthday, but I knew I'd never forgive myself if I went for an iPhone over examing the universe!

Cheers

Graham
Old 09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
OmicronPersei8 (Joel)

Hi Graham, i'm in a very similar situation to you actually. I had my first night out with my skywatcher 8" dob last night and saw pretty much the same things you did, i had a blast.
Let me know how your accessory hunting goes as i'll, probably be doing the same. As far as the finderscope difficulties i'm thinking of buying a Telrad. I'll let you look it up but they sound like a great addition, particularly with how awkward it can be using the finder on the dob.
Joel.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Hi fella, another two obserers to add to the congregation !!

As for viewing through the finder, you will get used to the back to front, upside down thing, although the first thing i would be buying could be a RA correct image Finder, i have one on my 12" and it saves my back no end of trouble.

There are loads of people here only to eager to help, so chime away with any questions.

And now Saturn is setting, Jupiter is starting to crawl into the evening Sky, the views at the king of planets through you dob should be excellent. I can see cloud belts through my Orion ED80.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Rod66 (Rod)
Rod

Hey guys welcome to the forum. I too just bought my first telescope only a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it ever since. You probably have at least a few weeks of wanting to get out there every night, ahead of you.
I bought a green laser pointer for my skywatcher 8inch dob and I found if you sit it on the telescope tube right up against the focuser plate where it attaches to the telescope tube, it sends a beam out into the sky that's pretty much close enough to where the scope is pointing. It saves a lot of time trying to fiddle around with the finder, especially when you know exactly where u want to go, its just that the telescope isn't quite getting there..
its also great for pointing out things to family and friends so when they look through the telescope they go ooh and ahhh when they compare it with their mark 1 eyeball.

Welcome to this enjoyable hobby

Rod
Old 09-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Modex (Graham)

Thanks for the feedback all - I'll be stopping over at Bintel on the way home from work and will also pick up a Telrad (which I had no idea existed until I joined this forum).
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM
norm

Hi Graham,

Congrats on the purchase . The telrad is great and makes finding things that much easier.

Think carefully about getting the 6mm. Conditions have to be very good to get the most out of it when you get to that magnification. Something in the order of a 8-10mm might be better way to go.

Also, as many say, its better to have a few good quality eyepieces as opposed to several average ones.

Clear skies Norm
Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modex View Post

Chair (back was killing me)
A good move; if you're a DIY person there are many plans about for observing chairs like this:http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-10-0-0-1-0.html
otherwise others have used gaslift office chairs etc
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Welcome to the hobby Graham, Joel and Rod,

Sounds like you all had a ball of an introduction!! Good advice Duncan, a right angle finder will really assist.

A Telrad is also a great investment. It looks a bit odd when you look at it, but sooo easy to use.

Graham, I don't know if you need to go as low as a 6mm. Like Norm suggested, I'd stick with something around the 8-12 range. More magnification does not always translate into bigger and better images. Conditions have to be pretty good for something that low to work.

Graham and Joel, you've scored a perfect 'first telescope' in my opinion and I'm sure most here will agree. Now it's time soon to learn some starhopping techniques.

Good luck to you all and keep the questions coming.

hoo roo,
Stephen
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Marclau (Marcel)
I WANT TO BELIEVE

Yeah, big welcome guys and good to see more DOB users.........
Eager to see how you guys go........I will hopefully getting mine in around 6-7 months time.........in the mean time I will use my 20 year+ Tasco......

I suggest also possibly getting a Barlow X2 as a good addition as well.......
Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Modex (Graham)

Thanks for all the comments guys. Day 2 over, and I picked up today the following:

- Astronomy 2009, $20. Will take my time on looking through it. I am careful not to get paralyzed by information overload.
- Moon chart (I enjoy studying the moon), $7
- 6mm (I have seen advice after buying it... but it was only $39 so I'm not too worried about it. But the advice stacks up. It doesn't add a hell of a lot in my back yard. But will be good down the track if I am in superlative conditions).
- Telrad. To those other noobs reading this - go by one now. For $79 it is well worth it, basically turns the barrel of the scope into the barrel of a gun; point and shoot, then do some fine lining up with the view finder, then move to the eyepiece . Made finding objects significantly less time consuming than last night. Also, it is fun to use.
- Infra red torch, $19. So I don't destroy my night vision when consulting charts and finding my beer.
- Ironing chair $50, online shop. Back is killing me. Previous advice on this one appreciated. I'm not willing to pay $180 for a chair if I can help it.

To do:

- Add a James Boags' bottle holder underneath the eyepiece holder, along with cigar ashtray. Nice way to spend the evening - stargazing, a beer, and a cigar in the back yard. Will be even better when I take the scope to an open field. I'll post a pic when installed

What I saw tonight:

- Gave the moon a good going over. Also used the moon for calibrating the Telrad.
- A little bit of Saturn.
- Alpha Centauri and the Southern Cross – much easier to get the scope on them with the Telrad.
- Then just before finishing, noticed Jupiter was up there so turned the 6mm on it and was blown away by the colour and the sight of 3 moons in a perfect line. Wasn’t expecting that!

Noob questions:

1. Telrad mounting. The most logical place seemed to be at the top of the scope between the eyepiece and the viewfinder. This way I can look down it with a twist of the head without leaving my chair. Am I right or will I regret this? I'm 6-3 so find I can reach everything OK.
2. Open field viewing - will I see that much of a difference if I take the scope down to a local park away from street lights, or to the beach, or I do I really need to get out to the boonies?

There will be more questions but done for now. Again, thanks for the help.

Last edited by Modex; 09-07-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:49 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modex View Post
... Then just before finishing, noticed Jupiter was up there so turned the 6mm on it and was blown away by the colour and the sight of 3 moons in a perfect line. Wasn’t expecting that!...
Download a free program called Jupiter 2 at http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/jupiter/

It shows you which moons you were looking at. Very handy application and simple to use.