Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-01-2009, 10:10 PM
robatman (Robert)

modded cameras

I see some talk of modded DSLR's...What does this mean?

I have a 300D which has the anti-aliasing filter removed and replaced with a 720nm filter so I could do handheld Infrared shots (landscapes mainly). Is this the same thing?

Can anyone give me an idea how much more sensitive this would make the camera for astrophotgraphy, ie 1, 2 or more stops?

If so can you still get colour shots or are they mainly converted B&W (or bright red as raw)

thanks
Robert
Old 27-01-2009, 09:06 PM
robatman (Robert)

anyone?
Old 27-01-2009, 09:13 PM
cookie8 (Vincent)
Hooked since Halley's

Hi Robert
Just take a look at this link:
http://www.ezystyles.com.au/modification.html
Cheers
Vincent
Old 27-01-2009, 10:31 PM
leon

Robert, to answer your question as best I can, To mod a DSLR one removes the existing factory fitted filter and replaces it with a UV/IR filter of exactely the same thickness of the original filter, this allows you to keep the Auto Focus functions of the camera.

If this was not the case, you could only focus manually,

The replacement of the original filter with the replacement one will give you at least 20% more sensitivity.

All you images will have a pinkish look to them, which can be processed in software like PS2 or Image Plus, or similar.

Once this removal has been done, it is still possible to use your camera for normal happy snaps, so to speak, but you will have to use custom functions, and shoot a white object in the normal daylight to get this image to use for your custom function.

I modded my own canon 5D, but it was tricky and very risky, but it is now a full frame modded camera

There are some on this site that also do there own, however if you find this daunting, just PM our Eric (Easystyles), he is the man to see and put you right.

I expect that this may not answer all your questions, but it may be a start.

Leon
Old 28-01-2009, 11:19 AM
robatman (Robert)

Thanks guys,
I am pretty familiar with IR conversions for normal photography, just didnt know if it was the same for astrophotography. Lucky me- all i need is scope and mount still!
My barn door tracker just isnt smooth enough to get sharp photos- alignment is fine but at 300mm the motion of turning the dial introduces a few bumps and thus reduces sharpness.

Robert