Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-12-2007, 08:35 PM
caleb

Question Pilot and Asrtonomy mixed

What can i do to mix astronomy and piloting as a career.
Old 23-12-2007, 08:50 PM
mungus

Question Nasa?

Sorry about the title of my post, but I guess the only job where pilots do astronomy professionally (or vice versa) is for NASA, ESA or the Russian Federation..

But I work as a garden variety Airline pilot in OZ and I do enjoy looking out the front at night, especially seeing moon or star rises. Get to see a few meteors too when I'm lucky. The office has the least light and air pollution of any observatory you'll ever see earthbound, but I must admit its "eyes only" - even using binocs would look fully dodgy!

Both are nice professions that give you an appreciation of nature and the cosmos. There are some cross overs with terminology too I guess. I imagine the most practical way to see it is flying can (not necessarily will) provide enough income and travel opportunities to enjoy your astronomy.
Old 23-12-2007, 09:18 PM
caleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungus View Post
Sorry about the title of my post, but I guess the only job where pilots do astronomy professionally (or vice versa) is for NASA, ESA or the Russian Federation..

But I work as a garden variety Airline pilot in OZ and I do enjoy looking out the front at night, especially seeing moon or star rises. Get to see a few meteors too when I'm lucky. The office has the least light and air pollution of any observatory you'll ever see earthbound, but I must admit its "eyes only" - even using binocs would look fully dodgy!

Both are nice professions that give you an appreciation of nature and the cosmos. There are some cross overs with terminology too I guess. I imagine the most practical way to see it is flying can (not necessarily will) provide enough income and travel opportunities to enjoy your astronomy.

mad! how long u been flying for with this airline?
Old 24-12-2007, 02:34 PM
mungus

Smile How long?

About 4 years with this company, but just moved to the Melbourne base in September.

It can be interesting taking a star chart / wheel with you on night trips and figuring out whats around. It shows the difference getting above pollution makes. More faint objects appear that are very hard to see from ground level with the naked eye.

The "windhshields" are good glass (although quite thick for the heating system and bird strike resistance), not the dished / dirty acrylic that passenger windows are made of. So the view can be quite clear.