Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Solanum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I would go Bintel too - Andrews are cheap, and usually very fast delivery (Bintel too), but I would rate the extra cost at Bintel as WELL worth it. I wouldn't like to try and get Andrews to take back a lemon scope
I got my 10" Dob from Andrews and when I got it it had glue from the centre spot dripped across half the mirror diameter. Being a newbie I was very nervous about cleaning it (and didn't know what solvent to use). Andrews shipped it back from here to Sydney at their own cost, cleaned the mirror and shipped it back to me, again at their cost.

You can't complain about that service.
Old 29-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ving View Post
actually lee andrews is a very reasonable guy and quite accomodating... he has taken back "lemon scopes" before. where is this info coming from?
He can be quite reasonable - but recently I bought a focuser, advertised on their website as including a finder bracket - the bracket didn't get delivered with it - then I was told "whoops - error on the website, bad luck". Instead of supplying it anyway, all I could do was send it back for a refund, at my cost (postage both directions).
I ended up buying the exact same item (including finder bracket) for $30 less from Matthew Lovell later that week.
Left me with a slightly bad taste I must say.
Other experiences with Andrews Comms have been positive. On the balance of my experiences, I would spend a bit extra and go Bintel - my opinion.....
Old 29-11-2007, 12:18 AM
GiveItAGoGavo

Seems that noone has anything bad to say about Bintel, and its an extra what... $30? Maybe a little extra if I fork out for a right angle instead of a straight-through?

With the glue, that really bugs me... To be honest, Id have pushed for a replacement... something wrong with a brand new piece of equipment is unacceptable to me and, though Im sure their cleaning job would have been great, its still not "brand new"... Its not like its only a little bit of money is what gets me...

At this point Im thinking Bintel because of the service, plus theyre local so if there are problems, I can drive... course I might be moving to Sydney next year so that changes things... Cross that bridge when I get to it...

Having said that, it is probably going to be at least a month or even 2 before I can fork out this kind of money... I keep upgrading in my head... the more I read, the more I want more aperture :S My magna has a big boot... maybe a 12inch would fit.......
Old 29-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Dez

G'day Gavo

I recently bought the 10" Premium Dob from Bintel in Sydney and it came with a right angle finder scope, so I'd just check this with your local branch if it does there as well. Looks like they've added the filters and extra eyepieces recently so you'll be getting a pretty comprehensive kit for starting out!

I'm still learning the sky at the moment but what I've seem has been brilliant through this scope.

I'm sure anything you get in this calibre will be great

Good luck and let us know how you go

Dez
Old 29-11-2007, 02:37 PM
GiveItAGoGavo

Gday Dez,

Excellent! thats good to know that theyre in Sydney too... Like I said I might be moving to Sydney next year, although I have just been more delayed on my cash-flow...

These things are so expensive Although I guess its good that the cost is not ongoing (like say, scuba diving which is another hobby of mine... but a pricey one)
Old 29-11-2007, 02:55 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Yep, keep aspiring to more apature!

The 12" is fantastic, but they are about to release (or already have) a 16" Dob!

The 12" won't fit into a Magna boot! I have a 1991 Falcon which is quite a large car inside and the 12" won't fit in its boot. I lay it across the back seat
Old 29-11-2007, 03:03 PM
GiveItAGoGavo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Yep, keep aspiring to more apature!

The 12" is fantastic, but they are about to release (or already have) a 16" Dob!

The 12" won't fit into a Magna boot! I have a 1991 Falcon which is quite a large car inside and the 12" won't fit in its boot. I lay it across the back seat
really? the magna boot is MASSIVE! But if it goes on the back seat... why not

16" is pushing it though! that would take... perhaps a roofrack
Old 05-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Louwai (Bryan)
SDM Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveItAGoGavo View Post
oooh brilliant! thanks alot of the replies guys... and the correction.

Im looking on the Andrews website now... alot of brands I am not familiar with...

are there any brands that are particularly good or bad?

As a general rule, work on the old saying, "You get what you pay for". And of course that needs to be applied as per the type of scope you are looking at.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:09 PM
fairway68

Question how goes the 100mm orion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I bought my dob from Bintel because I could drive to the shop. Had there been no Bintel in Melbourne but an Andrews instead, I would have bought from Andrews. There's a lot to be said for buying local.
g'day, hope you don;t mind but i see that you have a 100mm orion refractor. I have a query in the beginner's forum but have not recieved much feedback. Do you think the 100mm is in the same class as the 80mm? Of course its bigger but is the extra aperture worth the dollars?

Cheers
fairway68

Last edited by fairway68; 08-12-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: terrible spelling
Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 PM
fairway68

Thumbs up andrews specails

[quote=GiveItAGoGavo;275548]Hi all,

Im sure this has been done to death but...

Ive wanted a scope for years..and Ive finally got some time on my hands... not a whole lot of cash...

But Ive been doing some reading, and its seems an 8inch Dobsonian is about the way to go...

Im not sure where to buy from though.. being extremely new to this, all I know of is the actual Bintel sight, which has (what appears to me) something nice, the Bintel BT 152 for $399.

Is this as cheap as I can expect it to get? Also, does anyone see anything wrong with this choice? For the moment I live in an area that *used* to be rural, but is becoming more and more light polluted with the developments, so I might want to travel now and then about half an hour down the road... quote
Cheers,
Hope this info is of some use but if you are at the andrews shop or website check out their special on the wideview GSO EPs they are a pretty good EP at a ridiculous price!
fairway68 and good luck with the weather
Old 15-12-2007, 12:33 AM
saturn c (Leo)
reliable rubber!

My Astro Shop have very good service! recieve your goods within 2 days!
Old 17-12-2007, 12:21 AM
casstony

Hi fairway, I only just saw your question directed to me. The 100ed is similar quality to the 80ed - very good lens with more or less no false color in focus, an ok focuser, and the tube is quite a bit longer. If you're after a general purpose beginners scope an 8" dob will show you more and for a low cost. If you have more questions that don't get answered just be more pushy - even invade the equipment discussions forum

Cheers
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairway68 View Post
g'day, hope you don;t mind but i see that you have a 100mm orion refractor. I have a query in the beginner's forum but have not recieved much feedback. Do you think the 100mm is in the same class as the 80mm? Of course its bigger but is the extra aperture worth the dollars?

Cheers
fairway68