Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Eddy_P
Time Detective

A telescope – That’s not a telescope

Hi.
After reading the specifications of various members’ telescopes, I am somewhat apprehensive about telling about mine.
It is white.

Well, I started with its best feature.
I received it as a birthday present when I was in early high school in the 70s.
It is a 600mm long white tube, 50mm in diameter, with a doodad that pulls out to another 90mm.
Oh, and it sits on a cool black 200mm tripod.

I went looking for the brand name and found a small oval that said "Japan".
The only other writing except for the ‘passed inspection’ sticker is TOWA Achromatic Coated Lens, 30 x 40 mm.

To a young teenager it was great.
I spent many nights at the east facing bathroom window, using the window sill as the support for the tripod.

I was in awe as one night I had four planets in the night sky from just above the horizon to about 15 degrees. The verandah roof stopped me seeing any higher. I inspected Mars, Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn - one at a time.

Saturn appeared as a very small dot with what appeared to be rings. I was a little disappointed.
Luckily, my brother’s microscope was in the study, so I unscrewed the black thing from the end of it.
It said 80 x 120 mm which I concluded was stronger / better than what I had.
I unscrewed my black eyepiece and wedged the microscope’s in its place (as it was a little bit larger and the thread did not match).

Whoooo. A really distinct well defined planet was there right in the middle of my scope - with rings, beautiful rings.
I then looked at Jupiter. Previously I made out four moons, but I reckoned I could see eight.
Then my brother came home. It was a mad dash to put his microscope back together.

Another night, outside, I wanted to view the moon - but it was at its highest in the sky.
I solved this by placing a mirror against the fence at an angle and aiming my telescope at the reflected image thereon. It worked. I also borrowed my brother’s eyepiece, and could almost see the man in the moon.

I live in Adelaide, just under the airport’s flight path.
Held by hand and aiming at an aircraft, the telescope brings up the people sitting at the windows looking out.

Enough from me. Just thought I drop by and say hi.
Eddy Pengelly
Old 09-10-2007, 04:15 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Eddy, a frequent quote is "The best telescope is the one you use the most". If your scope gets used and give you joy then say it loud and proud

Cheers
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well Eddy I dont usually talk to fellas with beards but you sound like a reasonable chap so I welcome you to this most wonderful place.

Dont under etimate what that old scope can do...must of the Southern Sky was charted with a man using a half inch refractor.. state of the art back then.

Newton started the reflector revolution with one inch.
What a great man he was we owe him so much.

These days any scope with a Japan sticker on it costs the price of a good car.

One must except that no matter what size scope you have you will want the next one up... so the message is simple..enjoy what you have.

I have also borrowed the EP from a microscope so I feel we at least have that in common.

best wishes
alex
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Welcome to the forum Eddy
My first scope was a 60mm Japanese refractor that I bought from the local tip for $10 and the first eyepiece was a lens from an 8mm cine projector. Still have it 20 years later, gets used often as it has good optics. As the man said, the best scope is the one that gives you enjoyment.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 AM
middy

Ooohhh you had the deluxe model!! Mine was only 40 mm.

I still have it and it is what I started astrophotography with last year.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Dujon
SKE

G'day, Eddy. Like Alex, I too abhor people with beards - but only if they are not grey. *sighs*

Jealousy has nothing to do with this particular phobia (one of many I own) nor has the fact that I possess one (grey, of course). If nothing else, good Sir, you have something to which you can look forward. There's an old saying, often misquoted, which tells us to 'grow old grey-fully'. None of the goatee rubbish for us men.

Do not be embarrassed by your ownership of a wee refractor. I know from my avid reading of postings on this very site that many of us started out in much the same manner as yourself. Unlike most on this site I still have my little two-inch 'scope and, though it has taken on an almost mystical quality over time (it's amazing what the brain does to memories) and hasn't been used in years, I refuse to part with it, though that's partly because most people would expect me to pay for its disposal.

I'm rambling and started to post for a reason which now escapes me . . .

. . . Ah, got it. Welcome aboard.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dujon View Post
None of the goatee rubbish for us men.
Careful Grasshopper, careful!!!
Old 13-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Dujon
SKE

Yes, well, Rob, there are exceptions to any rule doncha know? In my book mad scientists and clever telescope constructors - occupations that are not all that different to each other - fall into that category; I think you'll fit one or the other (your choice)?

(Aside to Eddy: Rob lives but a few kilometres from Maison Dujon and, though I haven't met the lad, he might choose to wreak revenge upon my poor defenceless self some dark and moonless night. Laser guides at ten paces - it's enough to give one nightmares).
Old 13-10-2007, 10:48 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hehe!! my first one was a 50mm too, i think you saw more with yours than i saw with mine

i recon you should join your local astro club and go to one of thier outings. it's be a great start for you and you get to see what all sorts of telescopes can do incase you want to take it all further
Old 13-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Eddy, yep I started way back then with a Tasco 50mm refractor and it was a great little scope which really got me started in this wonderful hobby.

Cheers