Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 AM
kjassi

Help in selecting a telescope please?

Hi,

Very much hoping you may be able to offer some advice or point me in the right direction.

I’ve had little use with telescopes in the past but am now looking to purchase my first (well second but I broke the first one) telescope. I know there are a lot of articles and advice online but the more I read the more I seem to get confused.

I think my requirements are fairly basic, but again, happy to take advice here. I live in Sydney, Australia, out of the city where it’s fairly dark and not light polluted. Although this is where I would most use my telescope, I’d also be keen to take it away with me as I get out and about a bit, therefore the telescope needs to be able to be transported. Don’t mind if I need to take extra care and it’s a little heavy. Having seen some of the potable ones, I feel I’d be sacrificing quality for the portable and convenience element.

I also would the functionality whereby the telescope is able to identify objects for me, computerized mount I believe its called. I’m confident over time I will find my way across the skies but for now, all the help I can get I’ll take. I understand that some of these can be difficult to set initially (locating 3 bright objects etc) so any advice also welcomed.

Next, I’ve recently been given a Canon 60D digital SLR camera that I’m having a lot of fun with. I’ve seen some amazing astrophotography, which I’d eventually like to dabble in, therefore, telescope must be able to work with a digital camera.

As for what I would like to see. As much as possible. Naturally, I’ll start with the basics of the moons and planets, but I’d love t have the capability to extend well beyond that as I gain more experience and become more confident.

I’ve had a good look at the following so far, NEXSTAR 4SE, NEXSTAR 130, & SKYPRODIGY 130. All look great and I think that the NESTAR 130 would best suit me, but not sure.

As for budget, I’m looking to spend up to AUD$1,000. But this is where I become a little more confused. The 4SE for example, looking at respected sellers on ebay can range from $999 (from Australia) or $600 (delivered from the US). Understand price varies but for a $400 saving, leaning towards US. Anything I should be aware off? Looks too good to be true.

Having recently entered the beautiful and amazing world of the skies, I appreciate that my questions may seem very basic. With a little help from you and getting the right telescope, I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions that will get you thinking.

Appreciate you taking the time to read and appreciate any advice.

Regards,
kjassi
Old 03-08-2014, 11:38 AM
glend (Glen)

Astrophotography can get expensive, and there is a learning curve, but a good DSLR can get you along way into space. Importantly for photography of fairly dim deep space objects, and for high magnification photos of planets, is a good stable motorised Equatorial mount that can track the object your looking to photograph.

A imaging newtonian might be your best bet, something like the GSO 6" imaging newt which is capable but low cost. A good stable Goto tracking mount is going to be where the money goes, although you might be able to find a second hand HEQ5 mount in the classified ads here at IIS.

I'd avoid refractors (the most expensive scopes per inch of aperture), and the lower cost ones have colour problems.

The GSO GS-500 series imaging newtonians are available from Andrews Communications for less than $400, these are 6" apertures, with good mirros, and can be used for visual observation as well with the included extension tube. I'd suggest the f5 version as it will be easier to correct for coma (check out coma correctors because you will need one for photography). These scopes have more apreture than the ones you listed. Then you will need to find a mount, again a second hand HEQ5 would be ideal but there are others as well that you might be able to find for your remaining $600 budget.

I would suggest that investing in good mount that can stay with you through the inevitable upgrade in scopes is a good idea. Ideally you want to stay within about 2/3rds of the mounts rated capacity for imaging and I don't know if those scope/mount combos have that sort of support. Maybe people using them for imaging can advise further.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Hello and welcome to Ice in Space!

As an owner of a Nexstar series scope, I'd suggest looking elsewhere...not because they are necessarily bad scopes (I love mine!), but because they are overpriced here in Australia (I brought mine with me when I moved here) and there are much better deals to be had.

I'd recommend something like a Skywatcher Dobsonian with Synscan/Goto. Be aware that you do pay a lot extra for the computerised systems over the non-computerised scopes, but IMO having the tracking capability is worth the extra, as it keeps the object in view while you're observing. Otherwise you need to nudge the scope to keep it in view. Not a big deal either, but it depends on what you're after.

This busts your budget a bit though...even the 8" with goto is $1399 new, so it might be worth keeping your eye out in the classifieds.

Bigger is better too, but IMO an 8" is a bit of sweet spot between what you see and how big and heavy it gets. A 10" would be mighty temping for the extra $300 and you might find that'd be sufficient for visual...it's a tough call.

For photography...like Glen says, it gets expensive fast once you get into that maybe start off by taking a few night sky exposures with the equipment you've got, you'd be surprised what you can see with 10-20 second exposures from a dark place Later on you could move onto eyepiece projection, and a tracking Dobsonian would be good for similar length exposures, but that'd be about your limit because of field rotation. For longer exposures, you need to use an equatorially tracking platform, such as an astrotrac or polarie, or a decent equatorial mount...

Unfortunately, there is not one scope that suits every purpose so we're destined to "make do" or have multiple scopes
Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Hi and welcome

I've been in your position, looking for that "just right " scope! Enjoy the ride; I had a ball looking for the best option...now my humble opinion (and I stress, it's my opinion!)
I too was tossing up between a Nexstar scope (a 130SLT) and I also was asking questions about Dobsonian scopes as well. After some good advice from the Bintel guys (in Glebe), I decided on an 8" Dob and I can honestly say that I made the right decision, for me.

I understand you wanting a "goto" scope, but something worth weighing up is that it does not take that long to find alot of stuff in the night sky, with a little "elbow grease"! I actually enjoy trying to find stuff the old fashioned way! An 8" Dob would cost you about $500 and leave you plenty to buy a couple of good Eyepieces and maybe a Barlow lens as well.

The extra cost of a Nexstar scope is not going to give you a view like an 8" Dob will; HOWEVER, if you want to have a Goto scope, then the Dob version (as mentioned by Dunk) is quite pricey.

I'm sure you'll make a decision you'll be happy with

Last edited by PSALM19.1; 07-08-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: correction of grammar
Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 PM
chellaxy (Chelle)

Hi kjassi and to everyone else in the thread!

I am a complete beginner myself and I have ended up with a Sky Watcher 8 inch Dobsonian right off the bat, as a lucky chance I was able to score one very cheaply due to the seller having to move overseas. I've found it to be incredibly easy to use and in terms of portability has served me well - I drive a Toyota Starlet and the scope and base fit easily into my car. They are also light enough to lift separately with ease

I came across a helpful list of telescope comparisons for types of use in "Nightwatch", by Terence Dickinson, which I'll link below. In fact, if you can get your hands on a copy of that book, I find it excellent. Sadly the star charts are all for northern skies, but the information about telescopes and astronomy in general is invaluable for beginners

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...53546697_n.jpg

Chelle

Last edited by chellaxy; 07-08-2014 at 11:00 PM.