Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-09-2013, 12:29 PM
strummer4 (Steve)

Cleaning of lenses and mirrors

Hi everyone. What's the best way to clean the main mirror/lens at the top of my Meade lx90? I notice there are heaps of little dots on it.....maybe from evaporated dew?? Anyway, do these effect the viewing do you think? Should I worry about trying to clean them off? If so what's the best way? Also what's the best method of cleaning eyepieces do you think? Thanks for your advice.
Steve
Old 13-09-2013, 03:50 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Very good question Steve
In Short, you should clean them very very carefully, Im not too sure with corrective lenses on SCT's, and I would seek more/better advice before hand, some meathods used have been rather volatile, tho, dont panic
There should be a few threads about IIS on this matter !
Tho, Generally I use 'carefully' Lens cleaners on my lenses, cameras & Refractor telescopes, Tho, Reflecting Mirrors are another Ball Game, very susceptable to damaged if not handled with good care, proper methods, but I assume your only doing your correcter lens, so, I have used, camera lens cleaner on my old C8's corrector, tho there is most likely some better products out there ?

Any which, I'm sure other threads/advice will point you in the right direction
Old 13-09-2013, 05:09 PM
strummer4 (Steve)

Thanks bob . This is a dumb question but is the corrector lens you are talking about the big 8" lens at top of my lx90? Do all the little spots on it effect my view?
Thanks for your help
Steve
Old 13-09-2013, 07:39 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Might pay to take a nice photo of the subject lens and post if you can Steve, just to see !
Normally minor marks & dust wont effect your viewing much, and Rule of Thumb has it, the fewer times you clean your optics - the better ! I have a couple of small (2x 8" & a 10") newt reflectors and havent cleaned their mirrors as yet, one is a little dusty tho doesN't need attension yet & its 4yrs in my possession

Attached Pics are of my old C8.
1st ) shows the Front corrector lens, thats with the small orange cover circle in the middle of it.
2nd ) Shows the main mirror at the back of the scope, the mirror in these scopes seldom get dirty as they are well sealed from the elements
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (w5.jpg)
38.2 KB8 views
Click for full-size image (w6.jpg)
34.7 KB10 views