Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-10-2008, 12:19 PM
amoeba

New stand alone autoguider

http://www.lvi-cameras.com/cameras.asp

Probably wont be able to find any other users or reviews for a little while though as it is only just released. Could be promising.
Old 27-10-2008, 03:54 PM
bojan
amateur

Definitely looks promising, however a bit too expensive for my taste...
It goes into 1.25" eyepiece barrel it seems....
Important thing is to get rid of too much equipment when out in the field.... and if it can work hours on one battery charge, even better...
Old 27-10-2008, 05:13 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I'd want to see one working before spending 370 euro's...

I've just put my name on the waiting list for a TV Guider, whilst its more expensive than the LVI stand alone auto guider, I've seen one in person, seen it work, and seen images produced by it... its awesome.
Old 27-10-2008, 05:16 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I just read the info PDF, its limiting magnitude with the longest exposure time (only 2sec) in an 80mm scope was mag 8... its pretty good, but not fantastic.... Again, I'd like to see one in the flesh...
Old 27-10-2008, 05:45 PM
rogerg (Roger)

There's a (relatively) huge market for these kind of things I think. Autoguiding with the normal configuration of camera and laptop can be such a pain. I just hope the extra competition improves the offerings rather than reducing the offerings!

Mag 8 doesn't sound bright enough for me, considering if that's the limiting mag it's reasonable to assume it only works "well" with brighter stars.

I think I would buy one of these or a TV Guider if I could see one working in the flesh and they were more commonly available.

Roger.
Old 27-10-2008, 07:06 PM
allan gould

A far better value is the TVGuider which offers far more for less money and has a proven track record.
Old 27-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Gama

The reason why its limited to 8th Mag is for a reason.
You should be able to get 8th mag easily by pointing it at near any location. Due to CMOS sensor design, any more exposure starts to introduce noise levels etc. It is only limited by software to 2 seconds, and tests showed that 2 seconds or less is fine.
In fact the Starshoot or QHY-5 is the same, as no more than 2 secs are needed.

I have all the specs and images it produces, and its pretty good so far.
Wait for its release for more info.
By the way, the price was only a pre order intro. The price is back to around 440 euro.
Its much easier to use and setting up takes seconds.

Theo
Old 30-10-2008, 05:31 PM
TrevorW

Fundamentally a QHY5 or Orion Autoguider camera modified for stand alone use but is it worth double the price, I don't think so.
Old 30-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Ian Robinson

That's a good idea .... I've emailed them - lumping a laptop around will be pain in butt.

I'd be interested in the uprocessor (handpaddle) only if it is compatible with a Orion Autoguider ... which BTW I have yet to get out of the box and use.

Even better if I can use it to autoguide my old CG5 (non-GOTO version) too,
Old 30-10-2008, 05:48 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Trevor, Stand alone setups are worth more to some people, like myself, who have 1001 usb devices hanging off their laptop as it is.. I'm on the waiting list for a TV guider, and once I get that, it frees up 2 usb ports, lessening the load on my computer making it all run a bit nicer....

For people using a dslr with a timed shutter release cable, a stand alone guider completely removes the need for a computer at all.. which is something very hand when you're out somewhere that does not have 240v power..
Old 30-10-2008, 06:12 PM
gregbradley

What's a TV guider? Is that by Televue? I just checked their site and I couldn't see it mentioned.

Greg.
Old 30-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

It gets down to a trip-to-dark-skies or permanent Obs application. A stand alone guider is a god send for a mobile rig, but only if you use a DSLR. If there is any need for a lappie (for astro CCDs say) or a PC in an Obs, then its a pricy luxury. The guiding graph in Maxum DL and tweakable settings is hard to beat on a PC.
Old 30-10-2008, 06:22 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Greg, The TV Guider is not by televue, its a stand alone guide system, not too dissimilar to this unit being discussed. They are however hard to get, with only 4 - 5 of them being produced a year... There is no official web site for them, but there is an email address to contact the maker.

Fred - too true. If I had a permanent setup, with a desktop in the observatory, then a stand alone guider would be OVERKILL to the max, and rather expensive. however my laptop only has 3 usb ports... hanging off the usb ports I have
Imaging CCD
Guiding camera
GPUSB
FCUSB - for imaging scope
FCUSB2 - for guide scope (coming soon)
USB-Serial adapter
USB mouse (touch pads are useless once it gets really cold and a little damp)

Thats a hell of a lot of usb signals for the little lappy to have to control, and if it costs me $800odd to get rid of two of them, and make the system more useable whilst imaging, then its a fair enough price (in my opinion..) not everyones cup of tea I suppose.
Old 30-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Ian Robinson

My old Dell Inspirion has only 2 USB ports , I've added a Logitect 4 port hub and do not want to have a stack of stuff running of the laptop's battery (6600mAH) and don't want to have to lump a laptop about as well as the Jumpstart battery pack.

And I definitely do not want to run an extension cord 20 - 30 m across damp dew covered grass when I restart using my back yard. That's just plain suicide.
Old 30-10-2008, 08:20 PM
TrevorW

Alex I wasn't denying the usefulness of stand alone items but just couldn't justify the cost. Albeit wireless control of the mount and camera would be even more useful saves tripping over cords!!!

Cheers
Old 30-10-2008, 08:23 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

mmmmm 100% wireless astronomy.... Tis only a dream!
Old 30-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Alex, well, wireless data is a no brainer, wireless power is a problem tho, youd be far to rich and busy for astrophotograhy if you could dream up a solution to that little problem (batteries dont count). Assuming you mean a local rig. Internet imaging via a wireless lappie is also cheating .
Old 30-10-2008, 08:45 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Wireless data, not a problem, wireless power... well... umm.... I considered setting up a 12v DC regulated supply inside my house, with LONG leads, put them in a conduit underground, and just have my mount/dew setup powered from sockets in the ground... so it would always have power... however, you still have to physically flick the switch on the mount... I suppose you could set up a RF relay to do that.. its not exactly "WIRELESS" but its neatly wired to appear wireless.

Yeah.. I've looked into a lot of options.. My best yet is for planetary imaging, I set up outside laptop -> mount via ASCOM, put the laptop in a dewproof box under the mount. went inside.. jumped on my desktop, used RDP to log in to the lappie through my wireless LAN, opened K3CCDtools, opened the sky and connected it to the mount, started recording AVI's, when jupiter started to drift off the screen, used ASCOM controls to bring it back... at the end of the night, parked the mount via ASCOM, disconnected the RDP session and went back outside to pack it all up (Damn not having an observatory...)

Wow.. I just realised how completly off topic this post is, and yet, I'll still post it anyway

Nevermind.
Old 31-10-2008, 09:23 AM
allan gould

For the discussion of the TVGuider look at this thread
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=19788
allan
Old 31-10-2008, 03:56 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

as I mentioned before there is no point to pay so much for any standalone auto guiders. If you have already got a QHY5 it's only a matter of buying a 4" UMPC and you will get much better setup because you can use this UMPC for anything including running your planetary software.

If you check ebay you will find a lot of them for sale there

4"-5" are quite small devices so you can hold it with one hand. They usually run Windows XP OS which means you can install and run on it a lot of astronomy software. You can find a used or even a new one for US$500-600. You can even try and build it in your mount. At least my UMPC has has the same dimensions as a control panel side of EQ6 mount has.

I bought mine 4" SONY U750P for $450 in excellent condition for the same reason. But when I moved from DSLR imaging to CCD I had to stop using it as I needed a laptop for a CCD camera anyway.
You can still run CCD camera control software from an UMPC but usually they come with a single USB port and it will be harder to inspect your images on 4" screen.

cheers,

Mike