Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-10-2011, 01:47 PM
DavidP (David)

New Member Introduction

In introducing myself to IIS;

Last XMAS (2010), my goodly wife purchased a telescope for me, being a newtonian, 114mm x 900mm on an EQ mount. As with any beginner, I too, thought it was huge!

After my initial outings, I advised my wife that she had provided me with quite a techinal challenge.........so I got use to the polar alignment..........then went down the path of collimation....centre spotted the primary and obtained the laser......used the barlow......many thanks to all those whom have posted on the topic.

Nine months down the track and have now retired the newtonian and adopted a achromatic refractor with goto (celestron 102SLT). Oh the ease in setup.......which is very much appreciated when you have an almost six year old running around you like a mad thing. Cannot wait for the GPS accessory, and after managing to work out how to input the 9.5hour UT difference into the Celestron setup.

So to date have stuck within the solar system and viewed Moon then Jupiter then Saturn. Am back to the moon and jupiter given Saturn went behind the sun. And saw the shadow cast by Montes Jura a few evening ago.....which is my first appreciation of a mountain on the moon.

Have only the one planetary eyepiece being the 6mm Orion Planetary Edge-on............bought for the 900mm FL newtonian. Thought that maybe a 4.5mm Meade HD5000 may suit max power for the 102SLT operating in the backyard of Adelaide, but acknowledging the reduction in exit pupil to less than 1mm. Any recommendations appreciated.

Added a fringe killer to the already acquired moon and skyglow filter, to create a semi-apo. fyi......Appears that I have a slight green tinge to the limb of the moon, and violet first diffraction ring when splitting a double. Have included below an interesting link on CA which makes me think that a long tube achromatic may not be too dissimilar in optical performance from an apochromatic...........hmmmm....... .....may get a few bites there! well there would be the ease in the carrying of a shorter tube apo and yes if I could afford it I would buy and apo and dispense with the use of filters! And a quadruplet one at that.

http://www.cityastronomy.com/CA-ratio-chart-achro.jpg

Hopefully one day can target, and make out a spiral galaxy!

Regards to all,

David
Old 25-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Poita (Peter)

Im fairly impressed with the Vixen Click-Stop zoom eyepieces, you may want to check them out if you can. With that scope they will probably give about as good a views as the scope is capable of and you get a range of zoom levels available, and they are good enough to keep with your next scope.
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?...w=vx-5836&st=3

They work great with my 105/65 scope.
Old 25-10-2011, 10:29 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi David

to IIS! Sounds like you're having fun with the solar system. Keep it up!
Old 25-10-2011, 02:57 PM
PeterM

[QUOTE=DavidP;777085]In introducing myself to IIS;

Hopefully one day can target, and make out a spiral galaxy!

Hi David,
Welcome indeed. Ahhh yes spiral galaxies.... now you are talking my talk.
I reckon you will find Ice In Space a friendly and knowledgeable place to pursue your interests and develop your skills in this fab hobby.

All the best
PeterM.
Old 28-10-2011, 01:31 PM
DavidP (David)

thanks to all

To all,

I'm feeling very welcomed to your community.

I'll let you know when I see that spiral galaxy!

kind regards to all,

David