Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2022, 06:34 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Explore Scientific AR127 5" Doublet Refractor

It's time to sell my beloved Explore Scientific AR127 5" doublet refractor as I've moved onto EAA with other gear. I've been in two minds about letting it go, but I really need to do the right thing at home and not keep too much gear.

I originally purchased this telescope new from Frontier Optics and have only ever used it as a visual scope in a side by side ALT-AZ setup with my Celestron C9.25 at home. It's spent its whole life inside my house (except for observing evenings). Specs per the Frontier Optics website are as follows:
  • Telescope Series Explore AR Air-Spaced Doublet 127mm
  • Refractor Design Achromat
  • Number of Refractor Elements 2
  • Telescope Aperture 5"
  • Telescope Focal Ratio f/6.5
  • Telescope Focal Length (mm) 826
  • Optical Coatings Explore EMD
  • Limiting Stellar Magnitude 13
  • Diagonal Included? Yes - 2" Star Diagonal
  • Telescope Eyepiece(s) Included? No, Sold Separately
  • Finder Included? Yes - 8 x 50 Finder Included
  • Focuser Style Crayford/Crayford Style
  • Focuser Size 2"
  • Focuser Speed Dual Speed
  • Telescope Mount Type No Mount - OTA Only
  • Telescope OTA Diameter (in.) 5.12 (130 mm)
  • Telescope OTA Length (in.) 34 (863 mm)
  • Telescope OTA Weight (lb.) 15.6

I used this scope almost exclusively with a Baader zoom eyepiece with matching barlow and it was a great partnership. It's in excellent condition and has the usual marks on the dovetail from being used. I installed a small safety at the objective end of the dovetail as I've never trusted dovetails not to slip. It hasn't needed to save me yet but is a worthwhile addon just the same.

It comes with the original Explore Scientific diagonal, 2" - 1 1/4" reducer, finder scope rings and finder scope. The eyepiece cover for the finder scope is missing. I'm sure that it was originally supplied, but I can't find it.

Please note that the mount in the pics isn't included (nor is the shed, table tennis table or pergola). This is a great scope in great condition that would be perfect for anyone not wanting to lift a heavy instrument and who wants a telescope in top condition with decent aperture at a decent price point. It has a medium focal length and dual speed focuser.

New landed in Australia (assuming stock was available) it would cost about $1200 excluding any GST or duty that may be applicable based on my limited research online. Just now, and for quite some time up until now, it doesn't seem to be available though.

I'm asking $800 with the buyer to cover freight. Local pickup from Cecil Hills or Warwick Farm is preferred, and inspection is welcomed.

I do have the original carton for anyone keen to ship but obviously pickup would be safer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (AR127 - 1 IIS.jpg)
175.7 KB286 views
Click for full-size image (AR127 - 2 IIS.jpg)
120.8 KB205 views
Click for full-size image (AR127 - 3 IIS.jpg)
161.2 KB207 views
Click for full-size image (AR127 - 4 IIS.jpg)
125.2 KB164 views
Click for full-size image (AR127 - 5 IIS.jpg)
165.8 KB181 views
Click for full-size image (AR127 - 6 IIS.jpg)
158.1 KB154 views
Click for full-size image (AR127 - 7 IIS.jpg)
112.6 KB152 views

Last edited by floyd_2; 25-04-2022 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Now Sold
Old 02-04-2022, 10:18 AM
hrcoleman66 (Hugh)

PMed.