Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 18-03-2013, 12:57 PM
MRL (Michael)

Dave:
I'm impressed with your focuser design, and am interested in building the kit - but I cannot figure out how to place an order. Please tell me how. I'm sure I'll feel silly after you tell me.
Very nice work by the way !
Mike
Old 18-03-2013, 02:50 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

I think you will find he is no longer doing the kits, I had the last one I think. I understand he is now going into commercial production. An excellent product, I am just finishing adapting it to my C8.
Old 18-03-2013, 08:56 PM
dtrewren (Dave)
Above the equator ...

Hi Guys,

Roger is correct, I am not currently supplying the PCB based kit as have exhausted my supply of boards. Also correct is that I have developed a commercial version which now has a website :

SharpSky Pro website : www.sharpsky.net

It would be inappropriate to suggest sales through a forum, hence the current lack of sales information on the site. If you are interested in the commercial SharpSky Pro version please contact me via the email on the website : innovate@sharpsky.net

Cheers & clear skies,

Dave
Old 18-03-2013, 09:06 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Dave,

All the best with the commercial version of the product. I have never looked back since purchasing your kit - it has meant a giant leap forward for me in enjoyment and results from my gear.

Peter
Old 18-03-2013, 09:18 PM
dtrewren (Dave)
Above the equator ...

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the encouragement

The commercial version has been a lot of work, I don't want to think of how many hours ..... I am surprised my key still fits the front door of the house and the wife is letting me in !

Yes I think you are absolutely correct - I found the same thing going to electronic focus. Once it is possible to focus remotely everything becomes at great deal more enjoyable and controllable.

I really appreciate everyone that took a leap of faith and bought a SharpSky kit - the level of interest was overwhelming and was the motivating factor in taking the project one step further to the commercial version.

Cheers & clear skies,

Dave
Old 19-12-2013, 09:48 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi IIS'ers

I contacted Dave about obtaining another Sharpsky kit (not the pro version) but he had sold all his stocks, but in lieu he sold me a pre-programmed 18F2550 PIC (many thanks to Dave) and I made up a PCB.

Well not quite made, I drew it up with eagle PCB and had the PCB made by OSH park. Layout is almost exact to Dave's but some minor changes like using Bussed SIL resistors (to +5V) instead of separate non bussed SIL for the LEDs, and some track changes. I kept the connectors the same, commonality is a must. Funny enough I found pre-made sealed mini DIN plugs on fleabay, mainly for old MACs and these cut-of work great for the encoder etc. I did make a small error with the position of the SIL LED connector...it's too close to it's SIL resistor pack and mount hole, but...it fits, at a small angle!

Result is...works very nicely tested fine! System is being put in the same original type case. A lot of work but well worth the effort, many thanks to Dave once again.

Attached are some images of Daves Sharpsky kit and my PCB.

edit: ahh just figured out a good fix for the Bussed SIL/6 PIN SIL space issue....put the bussed SIL resistor under the PCB! of course it's an interim fix, PCB design needs small design change but is usable atm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2613-small.jpg)
100.6 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2615small.jpg)
102.8 KB43 views

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 19-12-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 22-12-2013, 03:40 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Free Sharpsky stepper focus unit and PCB, yum yum!

Ok folks

I have a few spare Sharpsky PCBs (see post above) that are gathering dust and I contacted Dave, sharpky the designer with a thought of giving them away, free, but you have to buy a pre Programmed PIC for this, from Dave of course. Dave said he would supply the PICs at cost plus postage...cannot get better than that! I will send one PCB to Dave for him to peruse.

Thus I have another qty 2 to give away, essentially the same as the one here with small minor changes to the way I laid out the PCB tracks. Now, I can give away 1 complete PCB made up (with all parts and tested) for free for someone as I have enough parts left over for 1 complete (minus the PIC of course) unit.

The other PCB I can supply some parts like pre-made SIL male/female with fly leads and any required SIL resistors. I can also supply instructions and parts list etc for this.

What I am looking for is someone who has or wants to use stepper focusing preferably someone wanting to get into this. Would prefer to give the made up unit to someone who is not electronic conversant the other to someone who is. Obvious reason why.

Now the Shaprsky system is fully ASCOM compatible and uses same pin outs as robofocus or Moonlite but of course can be connected to work with any std small 12V unipolar stepper.

So who's up for this? Hands up!
Old 22-12-2013, 05:33 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
Ok folks

I have a few spare Sharpsky PCBs (see post above) that are gathering dust and I contacted Dave, sharpky the designer with a thought of giving them away, free, but you have to buy a pre Programmed PIC for this, from Dave of course. Dave said he would supply the PICs at cost plus postage...cannot get better than that! I will send one PCB to Dave for him to peruse.

Thus I have another qty 2 to give away, essentially the same as the one here with small minor changes to the way I laid out the PCB tracks. Now, I can give away 1 complete PCB made up (with all parts and tested) for free for someone as I have enough parts left over for 1 complete (minus the PIC of course) unit.

The other PCB I can supply some parts like pre-made SIL male/female with fly leads and any required SIL resistors. I can also supply instructions and parts list etc for this.

What I am looking for is someone who has or wants to use stepper focusing preferably someone wanting to get into this. Would prefer to give the made up unit to someone who is not electronic conversant the other to someone who is. Obvious reason why.

Now the Shaprsky system is fully ASCOM compatible and uses same pin outs as robofocus or Moonlite but of course can be connected to work with any std small 12V unipolar stepper.

So who's up for this? Hands up!
would this work with a stepper motor to control a focus belt system for a lens and camera?
Old 22-12-2013, 05:52 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
would this work with a stepper motor to control a focus belt system for a lens and camera?
Yes it would as long at the stepper is unipolar (although you can get a bipolar to work on this, haven't tried, I believe)...even temp controlled with sensor and hand controller...wink wink.

Dave made a widefield rig I believe using the same sharpsky controller.
Old 22-12-2013, 07:45 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Hi Brendan i am up for the build version and can pick it up from your place.

Cheers,
Martin.
Old 22-12-2013, 07:49 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi Martin yep done...you have it, I'll have to make it up then PM you. I do this then test it with a PIC before giving it to you. You'll have to source a PIC from Dave but he is being very generous in his prices.

So folks, still another bare PCB to go incl some parts but you will have to source the others from fleabay, things like 4 &3pin DIN sockets.
Old 22-12-2013, 08:23 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Houghy, since you showed interest first, I wouldn't want you to miss out so.... ...if you talk nicely to me I might be convinced to make the other complete PCB up for you free as well!

Brendan
Old 22-12-2013, 08:25 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Thank you very much Brendan
Will make pictures when fitted to the ED80.
Old 22-12-2013, 08:59 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
Houghy, since you showed interest first, I wouldn't want you to miss out so.... ...if you talk nicely to me I might be convinced to make the other complete PCB up for you free as well!

Brendan
to be honest Brendan, i wouldn't do it justice as it would go in the cupboard until astrofest. there must be some deserving soul out there. thanks
Old 22-12-2013, 09:48 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

No problems David ...ladies and gents 1 PCB still spare with a few parts thrown in all free today!...as Robert Helpmann would say!
Old 22-12-2013, 10:59 PM
torsion (Bram)

Hi Brendan, I would be interested in a bare bone system if it is still available. I have been looking into a stepper focuser, but haven't made the jump.

I will mount it on my C9.25HD, well need to start sourcing mechanical parts.

cheers,
Bram
Old 23-12-2013, 02:10 AM
dtrewren (Dave)
Above the equator ...

Hello Brendan et al,

First off compliments to Brendan for taking the time to replicate the SharpSky
PCB and also for making the surpluss boards available. I am more than happy
to supply PIC devices for the boards at cost (part + postage) from the UK. Martin
has been in contact and I will get him off a programmed PIC on return from my
Christmas holiday.

Whoever, picks up the remaining boards please PM me and we can sort out
a programmed PIC to populate the respective boards.

Good job Brendan

Cheers & clear skies,

Dave
Old 23-12-2013, 02:34 AM
dtrewren (Dave)
Above the equator ...

Further to the last post :

I meant to add the link to my Widefield rig as this was mentioned earier regarding
belt driven focusing ...

www.dt-space.co.uk/WF_project

Cheers,

Dave
Old 23-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Oh dear, looks like I was too late... Terrific service Brendan and David, it's great to see.
Old 23-12-2013, 05:54 AM
dtrewren (Dave)
Above the equator ...

Hi Andrew,

I think Brendan has three boards and offered one to me. However, I now use my SharpSky Pro gear (www.sharpsky.net) and although I appreciate the offer if someone else what's to take the last board and build it up that's fine with me and I will supply a programmed PIC device.

The destiny of the boards is obviously Brendan's call

Clear skies,

Dave