Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Grejoh (Greg)

Smile First telescope - What to buy????

Well I am going to ask that time old question, which I know has been asked NUMEROUS times before, and I know I will get many varied answers, but I am going to ask anyhow!

What should I get as a first telescope?

For all you great people out there, here are some of my criteria, that will help you give me your informed and unbiased opinion.

1. I have up to $3,000 to spend! (Lucky me I know!)
2. Reasonable portability (I own a Hyundai I 30 Wagon)
3. I want to start with general viewing, BUT, would love to try Astrophotography down the track (after I learn my way around the sky for 12 months)
4. Collimation scares me, but I guess like most things in life, it is something I can learn from an experienced observer.
5. Buying now while the bargains are on would be good (EOFYS!), but not a deal breaker.
6. I thought I had decided on a Skywatcher BD ED100 on a HEQ5Pro Mount, but now I am not so sure!
7. The more I look, the more confused I get!!!!
8. I currently live in a 2Br unit complex, but in the next month will be moving into a 4Br house with a REAL backyard!

So there you have it. I have tried to get along to some of the BAS Public Viewing nights, but many things have worked against that, not least of all the weather! I have scoured through the Cloudy Nights Forums and also the IIS Forums, read MANY copys of Australian Sky and Telescope, so I have seen MANY MANY ideas! The more I see, the less confident I feel to make a decision. I have always been one to gather the facts, research the data, and then make a decision months later (my wife hates this! "Just buy one for goodness sakes" is often heard here!)

So my learned and experienced observing friends, let me now your thoughts! In private or public. You can only but help me in my dilema!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:05 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

to IIS Greg.

General recommendation for beginners is to get a DOB, biggest you can afford/manage. Not that I followed this path, but you can learn from my mistakes

Also if you don't have binoculars suggest you look at getting some, lots of threads on this topic already.

Astrophotography is a different beast altogether if you are serious about it. While you can put a camera on just about any scope the requirements for AP and visual are generaly different. In fact the requirements for AP vary depending on your interests. To eliminate some of your confusion I suggest you put AP aside for now and buy for visual.

You have a better budget than most looking for a first scope so you should be able to find something nice and be able to get some extras, but you may want to just keep some aside til you work out what you really want.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 AM
torana68 (Roger)

yep do a search and some reading then come back with some specific questions, 'scopes for "beginner" "general viewing" and "astrophotography" are indeed different but a Newtonian can do all three, with different mounts, Im not a refractor monkey so my opinion is somewhat biased.
Roger
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

you get the largest possible aperture... with that money you can get your self a 16" light bridge
Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Iceaxe (Joe)

Hi Greg,

You sound like me, and yes similar wives.

Here is my two cents. Like you, I'm fairly new to astronomy.

Join a astronomy club (SAS). The info you'll pick up is mind blowing, there is more to astronomy that looking in telescopes, stuff like :- Spectrograph ect
The wealth of knowledge and experience of the members is great. Some club have loan telescopes (that's how I learnt dods mount was easy, and my friend's equatorial mount frustrating).

Binos or telescope it pays to deal with an Optical shop (most of them are astronomers their advice very helpful), as apposed to a non optical (dept type) stores who sell camping equipment ect as well as optical stuff.

If you get a dobsonian you need to think :-
Collapsible or Truss type - easy to transport ect.
Solid Tube - can be mounted on an equatorial goto type mount.
(astrophotography)

For me 10" dobsonian, mid next year EQ6 Pro mount (by then I would have leant enough from the club to understand it, & not get frustrated), by the end of next year astrophotography.

Small steps, less distance to fall.

Collimation you can learn though the club, it's not hard. Good instructional video on the website below-
http://www.andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html

Hope I was some help.

Joe

Last edited by Iceaxe; 12-06-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: winking face not right
Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 PM
M54 (Molly)

Hi Greg,

Welcome to IIS.

As Joe said, join the local Astro Society.
They will have loan scopes to start you off, and when you attend a field trip you can see all the different scopes in action and look through them and talk to their owners.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Go dob and 12-16". But have a look through one first. If you want to do imaging later, well think about that later.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 PM
norm

Hi Greg,

Here's my 2 cents worth....

1. ask what you are interested in seeing, eg DSO, planetary stuff, nebulae, all of the above.

2. is portability a priority, weight considerations, will it be in a fixed location that is easily transportable, even across the shed to yard?

3. do you like simplicity ,or don't mind the electronics, gizmos that come with some scopes.

I'll lean towards a dob as a 1st choice. To some they look odd and don't represent your typical looking scope, but they do pack a punch and are really bang for your buck. As a starter an 8 or 10" is my recommendation in solid tube format. 12" for a truss and anything over.
Anything over 12" think seriously before committing.

With an 8 or 10" you coud certainly get an eQ mount later on should the astro bug bite.

Good luck with the decision.

Cheers Norm.

PS: Collimation is overrated in terms of complexity. With the right tools, you can learn it in 2 minutes flat.
Old 13-06-2010, 08:18 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

welcome Greg

I agree with Norm an 8 " newt with a telrad
http://www.backyard-astro.com/equipm...ad/telrad.html
is a pretty good place to start,It has reasonable apperture ,is very
portable , can be mounted and modified down the track if the dark side of the force calls you over.
Old 13-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Yes, 8-10" dob would be a very good scope to start with and able to be used for imaging. But definitely get to a club night and have a look through some scopes if you've not already done so. There is a big difference between images and what you actually see, hence so many threads like "is my scope broken" or "is this what I'm supposed to see?"
Old 14-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

For me 10" dobsonian, mid next year EQ6 Pro mount (by then I would have leant enough from the club to understand it, & not get frustrated), by the end of next year astrophotography.

Small steps, less distance to fall.

Joe
Welcome Greg!
I agree with Iceaxe, and I myself am following a similiar path.. small steps, learn as you go. I too have a dob. (lots of aperture, easy and no fuss, esp. for beginners). Beginners already have a lot to learn, without the added complications of learning the technicalities of higher end scopes.

When I first got my scope I really had no clue the path I would be on now, I just wanted to see objects in the sky. I was completely unprepared that my scope would show me such magnificence. I didn't even expect Saturn to look anywhere near as stunning as it does. When you gain more knowledge, you have a better idea of where you want to be and how best you want the scope to perform.
For example, as a newcomer, I am focusing on learning the sky with books, not electronic guides (some prefer having electonic guides and they say this helps them learn.. each to their own, though bare in mind this is expensive and often at the cost of losing aperture). I want to challenge myself in this area as much as I can. I have learned a whole lot regarding the technicalities of the scope and eye piece performances. Now, I am involved in pushing my eyes to their limits regarding detail on objects and I have books that will help me to notice and look for this fine detail. I see so much more now than I ever did, and am still improving. My next step is sketching. In time, my list of new experiences to learn will grow as my knowledge grows. When I get well trained in the skies, I will more than likely get an electronic finding device, so I can dedicate more time to the study rather than finding objects. I still don't own a Telrad, but I will someday soon (after I get over the fun and challenge of star hopping to find objects), as currently I'm still on the curve of challenging myself. To me at this stage of learning, is challenging and rewarding what I can do and achieve myself. The journey is so much fun. In a nutshell, I believe in starting off simple and allowing myself to grow and work/aim towards adding on accessories or buying other telescopes, once I'm in a better position of knowing what that is. This is just my opinion. What suits you could be very different.

Please take the time to read this article, it really is full of terrific information to help you. It's titled "Buying the Best Telescope". http://www.fvastro.org/beginners/Buy...tTelescope.pdf
Old 14-06-2010, 08:33 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I may go against the norm here and suggest a secondhand 8" MAksutov or SCT, either on there own mount or standalone OTA with without heq5.
I don't think a dob is really for a unit..even though you are moving to a house soon.
you can buy a focal reducer down the track, and start with some piggyback camera work to get started
Though the 4" ED scope will still be a good option
Old 18-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Grejoh (Greg)

Thumbs up And now it all begins!

Well I finally went and did it! I am now the proud owner of Orion XT10i. All assembled now and ready to go. But the curse has decended upon me! Full cloud coverage, and light rain! But it looks good here in the lounge room! Cant wait for the sky to clear and the journey to begin! Thank you for all you help and suggestions! Now get ready for all my future STOOPID questions!!!!
Old 18-06-2010, 09:40 PM
torana68 (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejoh View Post
Now get ready for all my future STOOPID questions!!!!
the only stupid question is the one you dont ask, EVERYONE here has been where you are.
Old 18-06-2010, 10:07 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Get to work reading that manual and figuring out where everything is tonight and tomorrow Greg, 'cause you're in for some serious Astro Fun this weekend!!

http://7timer.y234.cn/V3/product.php...=AS04&site=415

http://www.skippysky.com.au/Australia/

Congratulations on the arrival of your new baby.
We all expect to hear how your "first light" goes too.....
Old 18-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Wooohooo Greg! Congratulations on your purchase , hope the weather clears up soon so you can use it. Although, I wouldn't count on it ... I think you may have added an extra week to our bad weather. Soon as money changes hands with a scope purchase something mysterious happens within the clouds. Be content just to admire it for a while. I had to wait nearly two weeks before I got to use mine for the first time- that was painful.
Old 19-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Iceaxe (Joe)

Congratulations Greg

The skies will clear.

Enjoy

Joe
Old 19-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Congratulations, Greg. Hope you have lots of fun.
Old 19-06-2010, 09:53 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

[QUOTE=Grejoh;605471]Well I finally went and did it! I am now the proud owner of Orion XT10i. All assembled now and ready to go. But the curse has decended upon me! Full cloud coverage, and light rain! But it looks good here in the lounge room! Cant wait for the sky to clear and the journey to begin! Thank you for all you help and suggestions! Now get ready for all my future STOOPID questions!!!! [/

hope you have it out and are chasing down down some Messiers
start with the globulars first
can I suggest for 20 dollars or so getting a book like Turn Left at Orion from Amazon.com-or Nightwatch some people recommend-
its northern hemisphere oriented but there is enough there to get you really going
you have so made the right choice in getting into this hobby, wish I had been as sensible!

you joined an astro society yet?with this superior equipment you have, you should!
Old 20-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Iceaxe (Joe)

Hi Greg,

The sky over the Gold Coast has been clear (last night & tonight), hope it's the same over Ipswich .
Did you get to put your scope though its pacers.
Let us know?
Joe