Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Scarsnik

Which Brand/Type of Binoculars to get?

Hey Guys,

Just a simple question, pretty new to star gazing. I've read a couple books and some online content and am thinking about getting a pair of amatuer binoculars. I've decided to get a 10X50 pair, is this good for a beginner? and what brands are good. I live in sydney so if anyone knows a good binocular dealer around here that would be good too.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 31-07-2007, 10:15 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

10x50's are a pretty good choice IMO.

You don't mention a budget but a good place to start would be AOE who I think are based in NSW but may not have a shop front
They have a nice range of binos right from ~8x25 up to the 100mm big boys, and they're helpful too.
Old 31-07-2007, 11:37 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I'd agree with Don's assessment. 10x50's are a great size to start because they can be handheld. The larger ones (11x70, 15x70 etc) are too heavy to hand-hold.

AOE are also a very reputable dealer and many IIS members have had happy purchases through them.

Don't forget to read the article by Dennis - Binoculars - A Basic Guide for Astronomy. It may help in your decision.

Welcome to IceInSpace!
Old 31-07-2007, 11:39 PM
little col
gosh i love imaging

cant really advice yourself on the bino's but as mike says there is a very good article on the forum thats worth reading , welcome to iis
Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

I notice that you are into hiking and fitness so you will not find 20x80s too heavy. If you can afford it I recommend Andrews 20x80 triplets, they weigh 2kg and cost $219. See http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm
I lie on a reclining banana lounge when I use my 20x80s.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:31 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

I have a set of AOE 9x60s and they are brilliant value for money. They were very good to deal with over the net.

http://www.aoe.com.au/binoculars.html

Cheers
Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Scarsnik

I agree with Rob, except I have the 12x60 version. $109 from AOE and I'm very happy with them for handheld or tripod work.

Eric
Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Scarsnik

I decided on the 12X60 from AOE that Eric suggested. How long do they normally take to ship?
Hmm NSW weather aint looking so great today, clouds everywhere!

On another note I made that Planisphere by "Mr. Yasuo Hirasawa" in the beginners section, will have to learn how to read it now.

Any tips you guys have on what things I should look for as a beginner? I'll you you guys updated.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Scarsnik

I hope you find those 12x60s to your liking. Being in Sydney, you should have them in no time - but just ask the AOE guys by email. They will come collimated (put simply - both barrels aligned and looking at the same view, not one offset compared to the other, particularly vertically), but this is a skill you should learn at some stage - you might have to tweak them sometimes. Ask AOE to give you their sheet of collimation instructions.

I suggest making up some dew guards for the front objectives. I found some spring water bottles that were the right diameter, cut them up so I had two cylinders, sprayed them inside and out with a matt black paint and just push them over the ends while viewing.

You may find that you soon tire of hand-holding - so think about a suitable tripod. AOE hopefully will include a tripod mount ("L" shaped). The Velbon tripods in the $100-120 range will do the trick, but is is always hard to look towards the zenith using a tripod.

I think you've find that you'll be better off with a more professional style planisphere - particularly one well covered in plastic to keep the paper/cardboard from getting soggy in the dew. You'll find them in the telescope shops - around $25 for a good size double-sided one.

You should look for the two Australian magazines - Sky & Telescope (Australia) and Sky & Space at a bigger newsagent. Lots of hints and directions on things to view, lots of good stories, lots of advertisements which will empty your wallet and your piggy bank if you succumb!!

Buy this book:-

http://home.st.net.au/%7Edunn/heavensabove/

Get a chair to sit on - some old gas lift office chair will be a good start. A small table to spread your papers - an old sheet to cover everything - hopefully it gets wet with the dew and everything underneath survives.

A red light torch - there is a DIY project on this site, else Eveready sell a headlamp everywhere (KMart etc) with a white light position and a red light position. Headlight is handy - hands-free while you check your planishpere/maps/magazine charts etc.

Get a copy of Astronomy Australia 2007. In Bintel Melbourne, it's now selling for $15 (half the year is gone).

Here are my suggestions for your first targets in the evening - Jupiter, open cluster - The Jewel Box (NGC 4755) near Beta Crux, globular cluster - Omega Centari, the Carina Nebula (sky needs to be dark for this one), anything along the tail of Scorpius, look for open cluster NGC 6231. Also have a look for globular cluster M22 in Sagittarius. Then get up at 5am (!!) and have a look at M42, the Orion Nebula!

Happy viewing!
Eric
Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

"Any tips you guys have on what things I should look for as a beginner? "

Try 95 objects at:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=18551
Old 03-08-2007, 10:55 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

For binocular viewing this site is a must see.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

IMO... Dont go too big with your first hand-held pair. 10x is max I'd go for. For a second pair 12x, 15x or maybe even 20x is fine but first pair for easy hand holding, no shakes, 7-10x, which means, form most common models, one of:: 7x50, 8x40, 10x50.

AOE binos are good for the $ but the cheapest ones are not worth it unless you really have no more to spend. The HG model I've owned and used and it exceeds expectations at the price point. If you can spend considerably more ($300+) then it's worth getting something better...
Old 03-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Scarsnik

Thanks for your input Janokiss, ill take it in to consideration. I haven't actually ordered the Bino's (Credit card problem, they are sending out a new one to me next week). The 12X60 are 1.2 kgs, it does seem a bit heavy to hold for long periods of time. What is a good weight for hand held?

I'll definitely be getting a tripod to hold my Bino's later on, but for now I think hand held will suffice.

Thanks for all the useful information Eric, I realised that the Planisphere is kind of povo, but I thought it would be useful to at learn how it is created. I actually didn't even know which sheet I needed to print out, so it made me research a bit.

I already have an LED headlight that I use for Hiking/Camping, I guess ill get some red cello paper and stick it over.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

I find binoculars are a pain to use on a tripod especially when you are looking up. 1.2kg is not too heavy for hand held.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:39 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

not just weight but magnification to consider. higher the power the more shaky the view. For me 10x standing up is the limit, 8x is much more manageable. 7-8x is a good magnif for a finder pair. 12-15x is okay lying down, or kicking back in recliner.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
space oddity

bino binge

Simple trick to make slightly heavier binos easier to handle- attach them to a monopod or equivalent via tripod socket. Holding the pod with the elbow tucked into body allows fine adjustment to position with stability from the body. Makes my Fujinon 16 x 70 s much easier to use. Some of the light weight 15 x 70s are hand holdable, although the optics are not a patch on the fujinions. Descisions, descisions.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

I just bought a pair of 20x80 Sakura's on Ebay and I'm very pleased with them. Cost $104 including postage which was nicely within my budget. They may not be the top of the range, but mounted on a camera tripod Kym and I spent a great few hours out the backyard last night examining clusters in the milky way. Stars were pinpoint sharp and they focus easily. Although they weigh in at 2 Kg I've used them handheld, but not for long
Definitely worth considering for someone on a limited budget.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:32 AM
CoombellKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenc View Post
I notice that you are into hiking and fitness so you will not find 20x80s too heavy. If you can afford it I recommend Andrews 20x80 triplets, they weigh 2kg and cost $219. See http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm
I lie on a reclining banana lounge when I use my 20x80s.
I'll back Glen here, the 20x80's are awesome for the money and hand
holdable. A chair or bannana seat is good. I like using the boy's trampoline.

regards,CS
Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Was going to have another session tonight, but the "Clerk of the Weather" has decided to close the dome (Clouds)