Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-06-2008, 02:15 PM
taxman (Matt)

Argo DSC fill-in

After taking my 8" dob out to a golf course about 20km from Brisbane, and having a whale of a time, I find the skies at home (about 3km from the CBD) just too hard for my rudimentary star hopping.

Getting back out to the golf course takes some planning with a 10 and 6-year old, so I was hoping there might be something I could do with the park over the road.

At the moment I can't afford an Argo Navis (saving for a house), but I was wondering if there is a stop-gap solution using the argo encoders and some software (stellarium?) with a laptop until I can slip the Argo computer onto the eventual mortgage.

Does anyone know if this can be done, and if so, any links? I would prefer to use the argo encoders, so that I can upgrade at a later date.
Old 21-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Chippy (Nick)
Phoenix has landed

Tak a look at: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=33131
Old 21-06-2008, 02:47 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

You could do a search for "manual setting circles" here, google or elsewhere; or alternatively have a read of this CN thread: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...l/fpart/1/vc/1

No need for encoders, just a large degree scale for Az, an angle finder of some kind for Alt and a PDA or your laptop to get realtime alt/az coordinates.

Very effective solution while you save for the Argo..