Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-05-2008, 10:52 PM
philj6970

Finding the South polar star

Hi, my first post, great forum.

I have been interested in astronomy since i was 10 and had my first Tasco 320 x mag scope .

I got a Celestron C90 Maksutov a couple of years ago, complete with the tripod from hell that managed to sit in the cupboard with the scope for nearly three years.

I am now going to buy an EQ6 pro and a Skywatcher APO100 ED for starters, probably get a ccd camera or a secondhand Canon 350D (I have a Pentax *ist DL2 but no remote control like the Canon). Could I use the C90 as a guide scope?

I have had an idea, probably not original, about roughly locating the South Polar star system (Sigma Octans) for total newbies (with a digital camera and a tripod). Point your camera south and snap off a minute or two exposure on 400 ISO. The star trails wont be very long but it will look like a dartboard with the bullseye being the pole.

Phil.
Old 25-05-2008, 02:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Phil, to IceInSpace!

I have read of a few people using that technique to find the south celestial pole! I haven't tried it myself but it seems like a good idea!
Old 25-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Davo3960

You could use a star chart and star hop your way across to it. Otherwise use the southern cross and pointers to put you in the rough area. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_pole )