Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2024, 07:54 AM
refractordude

Using Stellarium How Far Are Objects Apart In Degrees

Hello There

For example how far in degrees is Sombrero Galaxy from the star Spica? Knowing this will make it super easier to find objects. The distance can change by zooming in or out.

Thanks to you all
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (spica.PNG)
87.3 KB13 views
Old 01-05-2024, 08:18 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

G'day refractordude!

I don't use Stellarium, however I use Sky Safari and with it you first select one object then the other. Under the information for the second object there will be a section called angular separation which gives you the distance between the two objects in degrees, minutes and seconds.

This has helped me greatly in judging how far apart any two objects are in the night sky. Hopefully some Stellarium users will chime in shortly.

Cheers
Joe
Old 01-05-2024, 09:01 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

One way to do it is to look at the altitude/azimuth angles shown for each object, you will only need azimuth to calculate separation in degrees.

You simply subtract one targets azimuth from the other targets & it should give you the answer in degrees...

I think this is what you are after, yes?
Old 01-05-2024, 11:28 AM
refractordude

Outcast

Yes, I will give it a try.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:37 AM
refractordude

Outcast

So each square represents a certain amount of degrees? Knowing that I can determine how close there are to each other? Image
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (spica.jpg)
113.1 KB8 views
Old 02-05-2024, 07:55 PM
refractordude

This SkyEye Pro app does exactly what I need. I am Good to go. Thanks to you all.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:05 AM
Finbar (Barry)

Sorry I'm late to this. You've found a solution, but it is also easily done in Stellarium on desktop (not sure about the app on phone or tablet).

The angle between any two points is easily measured after enabling "Angle Measure" plug-in: Go to the "Configuration window" [F2] > Plug-ins > Angle Measure. Change default configuration if desired. Another button then appears in the tools at the bottom of the screen, but it is faster to turn on and off by keyboard shortcut Ctrl+A.
To use it, start at the first point and holding the left mouse button drag to the second point; the measurement appears near the first point, or at the end if you change the configuration.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:37 AM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by refractordude View Post
Outcast

So each square represents a certain amount of degrees? Knowing that I can determine how close there are to each other? Image
Umm, No

When you select an object, a whole bunch of info is shown. Amongst which are its present altitude & azimuth.. they are actual numbers..

Compare the numbers of each selected target, then some simple maths to determine the angular difference.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:38 AM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
Sorry I'm late to this. You've found a solution, but it is also easily done in Stellarium on desktop (not sure about the app on phone or tablet).

The angle between any two points is easily measured after enabling "Angle Measure" plug-in: Go to the "Configuration window" [F2] > Plug-ins > Angle Measure. Change default configuration if desired. Another button then appears in the tools at the bottom of the screen, but it is faster to turn on and off by keyboard shortcut Ctrl+A.
To use it, start at the first point and holding the left mouse button drag to the second point; the measurement appears near the first point, or at the end if you change the configuration.

Hope this helps.
Even easier... cheers, I didn't know about this plugin
Old 04-05-2024, 10:34 AM
refractordude

Outcast

Thanks for all your help.