Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-11-2004, 04:10 PM
beren

Friday skygazing

Weather in Perth turned out to be pretty good after early patches of cloud and a strong southerly breeze .Rushed home after work to pack the car and headed up to the hills to the clubs dark sky site . Well its not real dark but its away from the city , secure and has facilities although the western horizon is affected by Perths sky glow.
Tuned into the big DSOs and people wandered around checking out the views in the scopes present .Two members had those green laser pointers ....ive never seen them before and crikey they are powerful and a great tool for talks and explanation , the distance they travel is quite remarkable . Had fine views of M31 although Binos produced the best views , a bloke had a pair of Canon stabilizer binos which i tried ......to tell you the truth i didnt find them that effective and they are very heavy even when compared to my weighty Zeiss 7x50s. NGC253 and the Helix nebula where next on the tour , most people couldnt see the faint imprint of the helix but i managed to make out some of the stucture.
Around 8.30 i think someone yelled out satellites , o boy 3 of them travelling in a arrowhead formation about 20-30 degrees west of the meridan south to north. A American visitor belived they were White cloud satellites , Yank navel spy satellites that work in formation with a primary and 3 smaller ones to take fixes on foriegn shipping etc

http://www.fas.org/spp/military/prog...s_andronov.htm

They where pretty bright easy to make out although i could only see 3 . Later in the evening the darker eastern horizon came alive with orion ,taurus, canis major rising with the false cross and eta carinea just popping into view.Unfortunately dew crashed the party and it was time to pack up.

Today looks pretty good again so it could be a goer , just dropped off some film with some piggyback shots , fingers crossed they turn out and are worthy to share .

Good luck every one for tonite if your heading out
Old 13-11-2004, 05:38 PM
mch62 (Mark)

Ditto here in SE QLD , nice clear night which gave me a chance to use the new eyepiece . Wait for the review next week.
Are you sure that it wasn't a close encounter of the first kind you saw?
May be you shone those green lasers in there eyes and they wern't happy
Old 14-11-2004, 12:30 AM
rumples riot
Who knows

Sounds like you had a great night, wish I had been there, tonight went out to our dark sky site, things looked doggy so we waited. Then about 10pm we saw a huge black cloud heading our way, and so that was it. Never even got my scope out of the case, we did have fun with the conversation my observing buddy and I had, but no stars tonight. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Paul
Old 14-11-2004, 07:30 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Great read Aragorn.. glad the weather cleared up for you! I had a major satellite night on Friday. More to come in the observing report tomorrow
Old 14-11-2004, 01:39 PM
beren

Sat night turned it to be fine again and good enough to stay out to 3am . Spent some considerable time polar aligning and couldnt figure why things were not working right until i realised i still had the scope in Altizuth mode from friday night . With polar mode set in the computer the scope was ready soon after ...geeezz. Got the camera set up and took some picks with a 50mm lens and 250mm lens of M42 ,the seven sisters ,the canis major area and taurus . Unfortunately the batch i got developed today were underexposed although some detail come out the background is very light on the print , think i had the f/r set to high o well its all about practice .During some shots i had the police chopper threatening to enter my air space but fortunately they didnt interfere.......lucky for them i dont have a green pointer .

ps; picked up a chair from Ranger camping made by Coleman that can be put into different angles by simply lifting the arm rests .For bino viewing its great , you can rest your arms on the armrests and a headrest adds more support , pretty cool
Old 14-11-2004, 02:04 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn
:ps; picked up a chair from Ranger camping made by Coleman that can be put into different angles by simply lifting the arm rests .For bino viewing its great , you can rest your arms on the armrests and a headrest adds more support , pretty cool
could you post a pic when you get a chance? I have been looking for a bino chair that won't bust the bank
TIA
Old 14-11-2004, 02:47 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

That's a pretty cool chair for binoviewing! I got a reclining lounge thingo, you know those plastic ones that sit around the pool?

I haven't actually used it with the binos yet, there just never seemed to be the opportunity to be in 1 spot with them.. the pitfalls of my backyard, to see different parts of the sky I have to move around a lot.

Ideally you need some good elbow support too, to keep the binos steady.. nothing ruins a good scan thru binos that your arms shaking all over the place.

Quote:
Unfortunately the batch i got developed today were underexposed although some detail come out the background is very light on the print , think i had the f/r set to high
maybe it was just the night last night - the sky was really light for me last night.. even at 10pm.
Old 14-11-2004, 04:00 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I got that headlamp myself too, good piece of gear.. but I agree, the red light is a bit too bright.. might have to paint some red paint on it to dim it down a bit..

I've found that even the reflection of the red light off my notepad or OTA is enough to ruin some dark adaptation.

Quote:
Btw with all the astronomical activity the Missus is giving me a hard time shes kinda worried im getting to attached to the scope , got some making up to do ....... do it when the moon is up
I know the feeling, but I haven't been out at night for ages, been mainly doing morning sessions..

Tonight is looking like another clear night too, and my wife wants to see another Iridium flare (she saw her first on friday), and there's another one coming tonight at 9:40pm or so..

I wanted to go to bed early tonight (i'm sick with a cold, plus a couple of late ones in a row), but it doesn't look like it's going to be an early one tonight either

Can't pass up the opportunity of a clear, moonless night.. Just finally got around to reading the SMC tour guide in last months S&S, so I wouldn't mind taking a starhop tour myself.