Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-05-2006, 02:16 PM
JimmyH155

How to polar align your equatorial wedge

I just wrote a reply to somebody and pressed the wrong button. Try again:

I have used the following method with my equatorial wedge 8 inch Meade. First you will need a hand bearing compass - get a good one from a yacht chandler. Then go along to your hardware store and get a builder's level about 500mm long or so. Next stop is Bureau of Meterology to find out what the magnetic variation is in your area. There is available on the web, a map of Aussie with contours showing the info. Brisbane where I live has variation 12.5 degrees East. You will also need your latitude. Bris is 27.5 degrees S.
This is what you do
Set up tripod roughly south
Get hand bearing compass and, aligning it along the direction the scope will be fixed, move the tripod legs to point the wedge due south - that is 180 degrees: PLUS variation West, or MINUS for variation East. ie Brissie is 12.5 deg E so I am pointing due south when compass reads 180-12.5 = 167.5 deg. Perth is about 2 deg West so in Perth you would be pointing due south when compass says 180 + 2 =182deg. EASY.
Next step, get out the builders level and set up the top of the tripod support dead level both fore and aft and also side to side, by adjusting the legs of the tripod.
Next, to set the latitude accurately: The telescope makers sometimes have setting gismos, but not very accurate. Do This:
Get a piece of 3mm plywood about 750mm long by say 500mm wide. then you have to mark out a right angle triangle with one angle 90 degrees, the other equal to your latitude (Brissie 27.5 degrees), say with long straight edge 400mm long. the other angle will be whatever. Ask the kids about trigonometry to get the angles correct.
Cut out accurately the triangle of ply and place it (the short edge) on the face of the wedge (which is assumed roughly set up). The top of the ply will be roughly horizontal. If it is not, turn the plywood upside down). Get the builder's level out and lay it on top of the plywood and adjust the angle till the bubble in the level is in middle.
Lock everything down including the tripod legs to stop them moving.
Mount telescope on the wedge, bolt up and I wouldn'y mind guessing you are spot on enough - well at least for visual and imaging software.
Hope this helps .