Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-05-2006, 11:30 PM
iboyInc
Pelican

The taste for space.... GS-630???

Hey you Dob geeks and mirror miracles, I've been slowly dribbling into the childhood dreams of space and stars - reading forums/reviews/stories and by all powers of snow peas I've opened a hole in the money minder into let us buy a new telescope . I been playing with Celestia (http://www.shatters.net/celestia/) and (please don't laugh) experienced the ever so painful 500x zoom in on Jupiter with a ****Smith $60 number. Hey I asked no laughing!! Yes I've not only learnt my lesson but also played chess with the girl, demonstrated the need more expensive gear.....

Now I've read and can seen how Dob's are incrediably cheaper, the bigger the light sucker the better the pic and read Andrew's sale hipe regurgitation etc etc etc, but I have read how mixed the groups feelings are of Eq mounts and dollar tag for a "decent" pod. I'm looking at the Guan Sheng GS-630 with the svii and asking how it stands up against the CG-5/EQ5? I am keen on the 200mmx1000mm and with photography in mind am keen for a eq style mount with at least a single axis driver.

Can anyone tell me if the svii is just like the sv1 (a eq3 lookalike) with motors and a push button joystick or is it indeed a "heavy duty" mount as Andrew describes it?

Is Andrew one to swap the sv mount for a CG-5/EQ5? Is there a difference between the CG-5 and EQ5?

Gasping for a eye full.
Steve.

Last edited by iboyInc; 23-05-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 26-05-2006, 12:07 PM
hogly52 (Graeme)
A FN Observer

Hi Steve, and Welcome to the group, .

I don't really feel qualified to answer your questions directly, but I'm sure there are many in the group who can. However, I would suggest getting along to a viewing night and having a look at what equipment, OTA and mount, various people have for their particular interest. You also have to clearly identify your own specification requirements as to whether it is lunar or DSO photography that is taking your interest. Make sure you identify that you will be using a Canon EOS 10D for the photography (my assumption from your signature block), as it will also have its peculiarities too. I'm still trying to get successful photographs with mine.

Research as much as possible, talk to people in the know, look at what people use, search the group and be sure of your goals before you commit , because astronomy and photography has a nice cash register ring to it .

Cheers,

Graeme
Old 26-05-2006, 12:50 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

steve
bout andrews swapping, whats the worst case scenario if you ask?

welcome aboard!