Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Astronomyy

Hello!

Hello everyone!
I am new to these forums, but not completely new to astronomy, however still I have no idea about astronomy!

A couple of years back I bought a Celestron Omni 150 XLT from my friend and myself and my wife used it occasionally to look at the moon, stars etc., but when I tried looking at stuff like the Andromeda Galaxy or Saturn, I just couldn't find it.

Can anybody help me out? I am from Perth, Western Australia, and I would like to look at Andromeda Galaxy or something nice like that!

Also, how would it look? I mean I am not expecting something like the Hubble Telescope, but I don't want anything like a blur!

Thanks very much.
Old 31-10-2012, 06:49 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Galaxies typically look like a shaped grey fuzz visually, especially in anything less than an 8" / 200cm scope. Also, ANY light pollution, and you likely won't see it. I lived in Perth for a few years, and you need to get up on the scarp to see just about anything decent, or down toward Jandakot or better yet - go to Wave Rock

Darkest nights I EVER saw was Salmon Gums.... it was summer, and it was 3° at night! SO damned dark I could not see the hand in front of my face, but the view above was breath-taking!

A 150cm scope will show SOME galactic shape, but don't expect much. A camera is needed to bring out the detail, and then often LONG exposure.
Old 31-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Varangian (John)

A 150cm scope will show you detail alright, a 150mm not so much. Hi astronomyy, welcome, I would point that thing at Jupiter about 1 am in the morning in the north eastern sky, big bright star you can't miss it. For other targets try downloading stellarium. It's free and its almost critical now to assist with star hopping with no goto push button scope. Clear skies.
Old 31-10-2012, 11:41 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!