Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-11-2012, 11:18 PM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

Time Lapse Software

What software do people here use to make time lapse vids from images? I just started out and was using startrails create video feature but I have found that quite often, the resulting .avi is corrupt and plays quite choppy and/or not at all in other programs and windows movie maker (for editing/adding sound etc) doesn't recognise it at all.

Anyone else have the same issue, or suggest a better (preferably free) piece of software they use?
Old 20-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

After grabbing the images for the timelapse, I put them into a program called VirtualDub. From there after a little fiddling you can make an AVI movie that can be played through different programs, so you can do further editing if you like. I aslo use Sony Vegas, but there are a multitude of other programs for video editing... I have also just thrown all the DSLR images into Sony Vegas. But try VirtualDub it's free, open source software... Takes a bit of getting used to though, but there are a few helpers on the web.
Old 20-11-2012, 06:45 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Have a look on www.snapfiles.com in the FREE section. There is a pile of media management software and other stuff with reviews etc tohelp you choose something that suits you.
Other options in the shareware etc section mostly at good prices but I've always used the free stuff.
The other site to look is www.redferret.net Long list you can search through. for all sorts of free apps.
Old 20-11-2012, 10:18 AM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

Thanks very much guys
Old 20-11-2012, 03:54 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

At our Camera Club the other night we had a person do a quick demo of making an AV and it was all done in Windows Movie Maker. Looked really simple and produced impressive results.
Only issue I would imagine is that it is limited in output options.

Malcolm
Old 21-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Forgey (Paula)

One I use is Picasa http://picasa.google.com.au/ its free not high tech but very easy and simple to use. You just select the image you wand to use and click create video, u can also edit it from there.

I use Lightroom and Sony Vegas although they are more complicated.