Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-10-2012, 04:37 PM
schmikko (Michael)

getting a first telescope

Hi,
I'm looking at getting a telescope soon and have been reading through various websites with this one being one of my favourites. I am after a smaller scope due to storage and ease of use. I know that dobs are highly recommended as first scopes but as I also enjoy photography, I know that I'm going to want to sooner or later (probably sooner) take some photos. Yes this opens up a whole new discussion and I realise that for this the mount is the most important. Like most others I'm on a budget and for a first scope I will not be able to get the ideal set up.
I'm interested in deep space objects (nebulas, star clusters and galaxies) mostly. From what I have read and cost and storage limitations I'm looking at getting a skywatcher 102x500 refractor (achro) and looking mounting on a eq3-2, second hand preferably. I would like to get some motor drives for tracking. I like the wide field telescope also as it is lighter (better suited to eq3, less tracking problems than long focal length especially for beginner) and I'm also looking at attaching my dslr directly to the mount for wide field photos. I have done some wide field from a tripod but would like some longer exposures. I don't count on getting an auto guider but would just be polar aligning and aiming for 30 sec or 1-2 min exposures (depending on the lens). A eq5 would be great but depends on if I can get one for an ok price.I suppose I'm looking at doing visual but also have the option to do limited photography. I'm not expecting to achieve any unrealistic results but to get my feet wet and learn. Any feed back or other suggestions out there would be much appreciated.
thanks
Old 28-10-2012, 04:58 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Michael,
Welcome to IIS. I have a 102 f5 achro and its a nice scope for mucking around with, or as I use it, a finder scope but for photos its really a no no.
IMO you would want to get an EQ5 with a 80 or 100 ED refractor. Better still a 100 ED on an HEQ5 pro mount. Look up Bintel for details on different mounts.
If you do the EQ3 you'll outgrow it quickly and wish you had got the EQ5. All can be got second hand if you wait long enough or put an add in the wanted section.
Matt
Old 28-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Wavytone

Hi Michael,

I'd suggest an ED refractor (not an ordinary achromatic doublet) at least 80mm aperture and ideally about 100mm aperture. You can find them new or secondhand (keep an eye on www.astromart.com as well as the equipment forum here), good ones come up often enough. Even though I have been observing 40 years and built a few scopes I keep one of these as its perfect to travel, visually sharp for showing family/friends the moon or planets, and while I don't do astrophotography it would be fine for that on an equatorial mount. This kind of 4" refractor is something you will keep for many years and probably regret parting with, if its a good one.

For visual use f/5 refractors are too short for good sharp high power images; you really should try to find an ED refractor f/7 to f/9.

The f/5 refractors are "rich field" scopes, designed work at low magnification either as finders for a larger scope, or to pack the most stars into a wide field ("rich field" telescopes). Binoculars fall into this category too. Generally they do not work well at high magnification.

Last edited by Wavytone; 28-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 29-10-2012, 01:14 PM
schmikko (Michael)

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm not in a rush so that sounds OK to me. I don't mind getting somewhat decent equipment in stages. Sounds like a HEQ5 with a 80 -100mm ED refractor is the way to go with imaging in mind.

thanks
Michael.
Old 29-10-2012, 01:43 PM
chaffingbuttock (Matthew)

Hi Michael,

I'm in the same boat as you. I've just ordered an HEQ5 but haven't been billed yet, so not sure what's happening there.. Anyway, the scope I was looking at is the TS 65Q apo http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...eld-diam-.html It's on the small side, but if you google images taken with this little thing they look amazing. The bonus is that it's affordable and it comes with a built in flattener and my understanding is that the FPL53 glass is pretty good. I had a look at the 80 and 100mm doubles, but when you throw in the cost of a field flattener (not sure if it's necessary or not.. think it just affects the sides of the image?) then it adds up to a fair amount of $.
Old 30-10-2012, 08:16 AM
schmikko (Michael)

Yes, I'll be looking at getting a decent mount first probably the HEQ5pro. I can always use my dslr on it to take some unguided pics until I get the scope. In the mean time I can check out a few scope options.

Michael.
Old 30-10-2012, 08:33 AM
issdaol (Phil)

There is a ED100 in the Classified Section right now:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=97997

You would not go wrong with this seller