Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Lyinxz

opinions on new scope

Hey guys , Ive come to the conclusion that my 4" reflector is in need of a upgrade, so for the next few months il be doing some overtime at work to buy a new 8" scope.

Ive found one that I am interested in, was hoping I could get some feedback into what you guys think of it

What I want to use it for is DSO mainly , and maybe in the future , I might try astrophotography..

I would be needing it to be fairly portable as I need to drive about 1hr out every time I want to go observing
I looked into a 10" but i think its too big..

From my local supplier:

http://www.yorkoptical.com.au/portal...02-019-I01.jpg

ZX Advanced Series C8 N - 31061
Price: $1,299.00
( $1,180.91 excl. tax)You save: $171.00 (11.63%)
200mm (8inch) Newtonian Reflector with 1000mm F/5 focal length. Includes heavy duty (CG-5) German Equatorial mount with RA + Dec slow motion controls and setting circles, tripod, 9x 50mm finderscope and 2 year warranty.

at manufactures page :
http://www.celestron.com/c2/product....dID=57#dealers

Thanks in advance! Ash

Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Looks OK but it appears to only have an R&P focuser not a crayford one.

If astrophotography is further down the line then maybe have a look at the GS scopes (dobs) from Bintel/Andrews and get a GEM for it later when the AP bug really starts to bite. Make sure you get the model with the 10:1 Crayford focuser if you go down this line.

Just my two bobs worth
Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Ash

That mount won't be suitable for most astrophotography either, it's probably a little underweight for that size scope.

You could buy an 8" or 10" dob to start with, and an EQ mount (HEQ5 or EQ6) later on, when the astrophotography bug bites.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Tilt (Michael)

I'm just starting out and ordered a 10" GSO Dob from Andrews yesterday. Should arrive tomorrow
Old 10-04-2008, 08:47 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Good choice Tilt
Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 AM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
I'm just starting out and ordered a 10" GSO Dob from Andrews yesterday. Should arrive tomorrow

Another 10" GSO brother

Well done, I'll be keen to compare notes.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:13 PM
berg meister

Hi,

Not posted many times but looking for advice re upgrading. Well, my old telescope is a retractor that frankly remains unused often as it is annoying, so I am looking for advice on a scope around $300 to $400 so I can take trips out of Sydney and introduce my son to astronomy. Any advice much appreciated....thanks.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:26 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Hi, what's annoying about your refractor, and what are the specs?

Obvious choices for me are the 6" ($299) or 8" ($429) Bintel Dobsonians

Probably the 6" and spend the rest on 'stuff' like planisphere, red LED light, etc.
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7381
Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Lyinxz

thanks for advise guys , might look into the DOB's then
Old 10-04-2008, 07:06 PM
berg meister

My refractor is frankly too cheap so it is hard work to get good results. Was looking to see nebulae etc....not so much high spec but useful all the same. Basically reasonable quality at their low end of the range. Thanks
Old 10-04-2008, 08:26 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

For $300 you could get a 6" dob from andrews, maybe even a 8" wich should let you see a fair bit - and still should fit in your car of its not small.
Look up andrews in the links section. They are located in western sydney. Go to Guan sheng scopes (on their webistes) and the dobs should be there.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Portability

If you are thinking about fitting the scope in a car then tube length is likely to be the main concern. Now the 15cm, 20cm and 25cm GSO dobs are basically the same length - they just shorten the f ratio as the size goes up. The 30cm is the first one where the tube gets longer, and it is a good step up from the 25cm. Google Guan Sheng and you'll find all the details.

As for how to spend you money wisely: think about the max you can afford then double it. In the long run you'll spend less that way. Don't put money aside for all those extras you'll want (better eyepieces, obs chair, warmer clothes etc etc). If you take that to its (il)logical conclusion you wouldn't buy a scope, just accessories. Those extras can be bought a bit at a time in the future from some future funding pool . Start by getting a scope you will use for years.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM
cookie8 (Vincent)
Hooked since Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg meister View Post
Hi,

Not posted many times but looking for advice re upgrading. Well, my old telescope is a retractor that frankly remains unused often as it is annoying, so I am looking for advice on a scope around $300 to $400 so I can take trips out of Sydney and introduce my son to astronomy. Any advice much appreciated....thanks.
Yes I would recommand Andrews in Greystane. Very friendly people there. Ask for Luke. I buy from them many times in the last year or so.
$399 for a 8" GSO Dob with 2"Crayford focuser and plus. Check this out:

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...-guansheng.htm

I owned a 8" Dob for 10 years only upgraded to a 12" recently. Never regret.
Cheers
Cookie
Old 16-04-2008, 07:48 PM
berg meister

Hi,

just ordered the Bintel 8" BT202. Thanks for the advice and by going to the 8" it seems as though I have edged into the low end of good optics etc, so I am sure there is plenty of great discoveries ahead. Great to join the club!

When living in Christchurch for nigh on three years 97 to 99, I had two great fortunes:

1. To see a brief green curtain of the southern lights over the city. I have a newspaper article on it stored away. I should find and scan.

2. Visit the Townsend Observatory a number of times, located in the gothic revival stone architecture of the Christchurch Arts Centre - originally the first university. Here is link to the web page to see the dome and the telescope - http://www.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/townsend.shtml

The Jewelbox cluster featured one night. In summer though, viewing is much restricted due to the late hour of real night / dark, at times, around 10.30pm.

cheers
Old 24-04-2008, 12:51 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Andrews are now selling their 10" Guan Sheng GS-880 10" Dob for $299.
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm
Old 24-04-2008, 06:23 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

thats a lot of scope for $300 glen ..think I paid $700 for mine
Old 24-04-2008, 09:38 AM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenc View Post
Andrews are now selling their 10" Guan Sheng GS-880 10" Dob for $299.
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm
Sure is, but remember that's the R&P focuser and straight thru finder. $499 if you want the 10:1 Crayford and RACI finder. I haven't used a R&P but I'm guessing you'd want to change pretty quickly.