Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2024, 05:44 PM
Peter.M

Dark doodad

Just back from a trip out west with the very dark skies of the remote South Australian coastline near Streaky Bay. Was a treat to image out there with no moon, no pollution, and luckily enough no wind either.

I also was trying a new scope setup with the view to get something that was easier to travel with, lug around, and less to worry about with regards to the wind.

Totalling about 6h, I am reasonably happy with the outcome.

Take a squiz here : https://www.astrobin.com/5qbdce/
Old 08-04-2024, 12:07 PM
Dave882 (David)

Peter that’s magnificent! The subtle colours and textures in the dusty doodad and even the fainter extents are so beautifully natural. Must have been some wonderfully dark skies!! Great stuff
Old 08-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

That's a great doodad, one day I'll get out to a dark sky site and do some imaging. one day....
Old 09-04-2024, 08:20 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Thanks for sharing your doodad Peter. I’ve just been pondering what to do for my next target so I shall be giving this a go.
Old 09-04-2024, 11:44 AM
Peter.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
That's a great doodad, one day I'll get out to a dark sky site and do some imaging. one day....

Thanks Nikolas! Do whatever you can from wherever you can! Any image is better than none!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882;
Peter that’s magnificent! The subtle colours and textures in the dusty doodad and even the fainter extents are so beautifully natural. Must have been some wonderfully dark skies!! Great stuff
Thanks Dave, I was trying to make something as natural looking as I could. The skies were magnificent, seeing was not great, but at this FL that is no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Thanks for sharing your doodad Peter. I’ve just been pondering what to do for my next target so I shall be giving this a go.
With your setup you could probably get some of the dust towards the pole in frame too! I was contemplating if I should do the doodad, or that dust, and the doodad won out based on its awesome name.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:53 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.M View Post
With your setup you could probably get some of the dust towards the pole in frame too! I was contemplating if I should do the doodad, or that dust, and the doodad won out based on its awesome name.
Thanks Peter, I've started an imaging project tonight so shall report in when done. Imaging with my 200mm lens gives a 10d wide FOV so can capture a lot of the surrounding dusty areas as well. Thanks for the inspiration on this one.

CS,
Rodney