Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Lyinxz

Question Binoviewer and my Dob

Hey Guys,

Haven't been on this site for a long time, mainly due to my loss of interest in Astronomy because of the bad weather during winter.
However new season now and I am keen to get back into it.

I wanted to splash out on something new for the scope, funnily enough i still have an argo-navis that I should still learn to use first.

Im really interested in getting a binoviewer for my 10" reflector dob.
I know that binoviewers are mainly intended for SC/Refractors etc, but I love the 3 dimensional effect it gives when viewing.

My questions is (hoping someone with prior experience can help out here) is it worth my while?

Is it completely pointless to get a binoviewer for a dob?
I noticed Andrews Communications have a generic binoviewer for $150.

Should I invest more money into a high grade binoviewer, or buy a cheapie first and see if its worth my while?

Appricate your opinions and advise!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:08 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Try to borrow one to test. You have double the eyepiece expense, all that extra weight, and perhaps difficulty getting enough focusser in-travel to reach focus. But I don't want to put you off
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

You may have trouble achieving focus with them unfortunatelly. Try before you buy is best.
Love your new avatar Eric. It makes you look....more like you.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:42 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Binoviewers can work well in a Dobsonian reflector but they will need an OCS (Optical Corrector System) of some description.

You will also need to ensure that you have a way to maintain balance (Bino, eyepieces and OCS) can add considerably more weight at the eyepiece...oh and you will need to see if your focuser is up for that too.

I've not had a lot of experience with "the cheap" brands but I think very highly of my Denk "Big Easy" bioviewer set that I picked up a few years ago. It came with an OCS and is usuable in all kinds of scope (SCT, Reflector and Refractor)...I've not had a problem yet. Like all things optical, you will likely get what you paid for...

You will lose just a bit in light throughput in the best binoviewers and could lose a lot in the worst...remember they are splitting the light that normally goes to one eye in two...poor and uneven splitting will cause poorer quality views...

I really enjoy mine on bright objects (moon, planets) and I think they do well on "easy" DSOs (Orion Nebula)...however, if you are looking for that distant galaxy at the limit of your scope's ability you are better off with Monovision me thinks...
Old 08-09-2009, 08:03 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

andrews b/viewer is similar to other 300 models like WO & stellarvue - the difference is the included ep's. WO & stellarvue make a nosepiece though to help achieve focus - but it comes down to pairs of ep's and the position of your mirror.(you may need to move it or change focuser to get focus)

from my experience tough they do cut down a fair amount of light, but are great for the moon/jupiter
Old 08-09-2009, 05:38 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Ive used them before, although though the right setup do give you that 3d effect, the limit of use is too tight. aka, the moon, jupiter, maby saturn. ide rather invest in a high end eye piece that can allow a really close up view of DSO's.

Its all upto the user but like it has been said before, $$$ spent = Satisfaction.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM
PCH (Paul)

I use a Stellarvue binoviewer with my 12" LB and I think they're fantastic.

It's true, they do cut down the light per ep, but for bright targets like the moon and Jupiter, as well as brighter nebs like Orion and open clusters, the results are stunning.

They're not much cop for viewing already dim targets like globs 47Tuc and Omega Centauri.

However, the ease of viewing thru two eyes, combined with the almost 3d effect makes it all very worth the expense imo.

The Stellarvue ones I bought came with a pair of eps, and a couple of extra 'things' (I forget the technical names of them. They're short tubes which I suppose must alter the focal length) to make them able to achieve focus in pretty much most scopes. Mine needs to have both the 'things' installed to come to focus.

I can only vouch for this brand. Get them, - you won't be disappointed

Cheers
Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Lyinxz

Thanks for the input guys, Appreciate your advise

The answer to most of the questions is - Yes, Really i only want them for things like Saturn/Moon/Jupiter/Orion Neb/Jewel box

I think I might ask my local Astronomy shop if i can borrow a pair to judge before purchasing.

Il let you guys know what happens

Cheers,
Ash