Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-02-2012, 10:58 PM
mikesim (Mike)

Help.. dumb ass newbie

Hi folks, I finally got my roll back roof shed built but for the likes of me I can't polar align my scope. My southern sky is partially obscured by large gum trees about 40 mtrs from the shed. I have a CGEM 11 inch and whilst I've been able to find Saturn, and a few of the brighter stars my goto just doesnt work because I cant polar align it properly. Anyone in the Traralgon area or even from Melbourne who wants access to a reasonably dark sky and is willing to help me properly setup my scope please make contact. My farm is located about 20km SE from Traralgon in the Strezlecki ranges.
Cheers
Mike
Old 23-02-2012, 11:03 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

One solution is a sharp axe and a strong arm.

Sorry, but it is a sitter...

I would have thought that your goto wouldn't need proper polar alignment to work. As long as you properly punch in the alignment stars, it should still work.

Mental.
Old 23-02-2012, 11:50 PM
cventer

Make sure you get it close as you can mechanically first.

My suggestion is use an iphone or ipad with a level app to ensure you latitude is set correctly for your location.

To ensure you are pointing to true south not magnetic role your roof open. Put a pole staight up into the air on edge of roof. A broom handle is good. Lookup the time for solar noon in your area. Ie when sun crosses meridian. This will cast a shadow on the roof that with be true south. Mark this with tape, or stick or whatever you can. Now line up your scope in azimuth to line up with this line cast by the shadow.

Now you can use the polar align function in the CGEM or even better drift align to get youreself spot on.
Old 24-02-2012, 08:29 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Use a plumb bob to get your solar noon, has to hang down perpendicular to be accurate. Then the inclinometer app on an iPad or Tablet.