Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-01-2007, 05:53 PM
gctstorm

New to everything! Need advise on possible upcoming purchases...

Hi to one and all from the sunny beaches of perth! I am finally in the process of following through with a life long dream of purchasing a telescope to view our magnificent southern skies- and I wish to ask for some advice on the potential purchases.
1. A Celestron 127 mm Newtonian reflector eq scope.
  • Easy to assemble 127mm German Equatorial reflector
  • Pre-assembled aluminum tripod and accessory tray
  • Slow motion controls for smooth tracking
  • 3 x Barlow lens triples the magnifying power of each eyepiece
  • Finder scope: 5 x 24
  • Includes two eyepiece 1.25"
  • Includes CD-ROM 'The Sky' Astronomy software
  • 12 month warranty
Specifications
  • Newtonian Reflector
  • Aperture - 127mm
  • Focal length - 1000mm
  • 1 x 20mm FL x 50 magnification
  • 1 x 4mm FL x 250 magnification
  • Optical Tube length - 508mm
  • Telescope weight - 7.17kg
  • Approx. price(including freight): $250.00
2. A Skywatcher SW 450- 114 mm newtonian reflector scope

One of SkyWatcher's most popular entry level telescope, the SW450 has 114mm ( 4½") objective diameter with 900mm focal length and 31.7mm focuser. Features F/7.9 ratio, Optical 5x 24mm finderscope, equatorial mount with aluminium tripod. Includes 10mm and 20 mm eyepieces.

It's a great telescope for beginner astronomers who want to actually see more detail than 60mm and 70mm scopes provide. With this telescope, you will actually start to see the planets, some nebulae and other amazing astronomical sights.

The fact that it comes with a battery operated motor drive to track what you're seeing, helps to alleviate the tiresome need to reposition the tube as things move in the night sky.

Ideal For:
  • Beginner / Intermediate Astronomy!

Features:
  • A high quality full-featured 900 mm focal length reflector telescope for beginning and intermediate astronomy enthusiasts.

Specifications:
  • Accessory Tray Yes
  • Barrel Diameter (mm) 31.7
  • Battery Type / Adaptor 9 Volt
  • Brand SkyWatcher
  • Counterweights 2kg
  • Eyepieces (fl mm) S 10, S 20
  • Finderscope 5x 24
  • Finish Blue tube
  • Focal length (mm) 900mm
  • Focal Ratio f/8
  • Focus system Rack and Pinion
  • Highest Practical Power 228x
  • Limiting Magnitude 12.9
  • Motor Drive / Controller Single Axis EQ1
  • Mount Type EQ1
  • Objective lens (mm) 114
  • Optical Design Newtonian Reflector
  • Optical Tube size / weight 150x880 / 2600g
  • Resolving Power 1 Arc Seconds
  • Shipping Weight / pc (grams) 10000
  • Slow Motion Control 2
  • Supplier Model Number SW450
  • Total Weight (grams) 8500
  • Tripod Height (mm) 710-1230
  • Tripod Type Aluminium
  • Tube Diameter (mm) 150
  • Warranty (years) 5 Years
  • Approx Price- Ex Perth: $ 370.00
I realise that is a big ask- but any/ all input & help with this would be greatly appreciated- as I really am a novice with little or no idea about astronomy equipment. On the positive side- my enthusiasm know no boundaries!....

Regards,

glenn.
Old 31-01-2007, 06:12 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

G'day Glenn and welcome. My piece of newbie/scope advice is: 150-250mm Dobsonian telescope. you can't go wrong

Clear skies.
Old 31-01-2007, 06:36 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Welcome to IIS glenn.

For that type of money it would be very hard to go past a 6" GS dob from Andrews. More aperture, solid dob mount, easy setup what more do you want?

Cheers
Old 31-01-2007, 07:11 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Glenn,
Welcome to IIS.
I would go for the Celestron, because it has more apeture than the Sky Watcher. You can purchase a motor drive to suit it for around
about $100. ( someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 31-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I would run from any cheap newtonian that has a tube considerably shorter than its focal length.
THe Celestron has a focal length of 1000mm and the tube is 508mm long. This is achieved by means of a lens inserted into the optical path. What this means is that it will be almost impossible to collimate (align) properly and performance will suffer with blurred images that wont focus properly.
Old 31-01-2007, 08:58 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I am glad that you are asking before you have spent any money!

First up, run (don't walk) to the nearest viewing night you can get to...be it fellow IIS folks (assuming some are nearby) or a local astro society/club...

In either case you will meet lots of friendly nice (at least a few) people who will be happy to show you their gear and talk about it (pros and cons)...try out their stuff first...then go shopping...

I know it is hard to contain the urge to run out and buy something, but taking some time to look through a few scopes first will increase your enjoyment and satisfaction later...

Good Luck!
Old 31-01-2007, 09:55 PM
astro_nutt

Hi Glenn and welcome to IIS!!!..try before you buy..visit a few star parties but to make life easier..think about an 200mm F/5 Dob...good aperature..simple to operate...easy to transport and will give many years of viewing pleasure..until the aperature bug bites!!
Cheers!!
Old 31-01-2007, 10:57 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

The scopes you list are not very good choices IMO. I recommend an 8" Dobsonian which is lightyears ahead of both those scopes in terms of what you will be able to see and in how much detail. Andrews is probably the cheapest, but support from a local shop would be handy if you can get it since this is your first scope.
Old 31-01-2007, 11:42 PM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Hi Glenn and welcome

First off: ditto the previous advice. Don't get any 'scope with the focal length longer than it's optical tube, for the reason already mentioned. ie the Celestron

Second: anything mounted on a 'cheap' equatorial mount will give you lots of wobbly frustration.ie the 114mm newtonian

My first telescope was just such an animal: a 114mm reflector on a flimsy mount. I still use it for white-light solar observing, although I am in the process of converting it to a dobsonian type mount for much greater stability and ease of use.

You can't go wrong with a newtonian reflector on a dobsonian mount. Much more aperture for your hard earned $$$, much more stable and much easier to use for observational astronomy.

Andrews, Bintel and many others mail order to anywhere in the country, so you have no real need to buy locally, if what you're after is not stocked locally.

Good luck, clear skies.

Dave W
Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM
huckabuck

hello glenn from the states,

go with a dob!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

g'day glenn, fine advice you have from these people

but if per chance you do get the scope you mentioned you will have fun with it for a bit, but after a while you will be want ing alot more aperture. I started teh same way and my first scope lasted only a month before i wanted a bigger scope. I'd say start with a 150 or 200mm dob
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Yep, a dob is the go, there is no substitute for aperture, plus the dob has the ability to be easily swung about the sky for browsing. 8 inches is a good starting size.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:03 PM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ving View Post
g'day glenn, fine advice you have from these people

but if per chance you do get the scope you mentioned you will have fun with it for a bit, but after a while you will be want ing alot more aperture. I started teh same way and my first scope lasted only a month before i wanted a bigger scope. I'd say start with a 150 or 200mm dob
HI again Glenn

Like Ving says: if you really enjoy astronomy, and start with a smallish aperture telescope, you'll wind up getting a bigger aperture unit very soon afterward. It's jokingly referred to as "aperture fever".

My 114mm newt lasted 7 months before I upgraded to my 300mm dob. The first time I saw Omega Centauri I wanted a better resloved, clearer and closer view, which my little 114 was unable to deliver. Hence I contracted aperture fever and obtained my beloved dob. Problem solved.

I'm not advocating you start with a 12" anything to begin with, but as has been said: for similar money to the units you have proposed, a 150mm or 200mm dob can be had. One of these will be much more usefel, and keep your interest for much longer.

If you can get to your local astronomy group's observing night (before you buy anything) and have a look through some other telescopes, you"ll see what we're talking about. Most people at such star parties are more than happy to show off their 'scopes and eyepieces.

All the best with your purchase

Dave W
Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
jcdundon

I'll just add, when you do buy your scope, there are a few places that are in perth, try www.telescopeshop.com.au and www.btow.com.au

Both local so support will be available for a beginner.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Dujon
SKE

Hello, Glenn.

I think that by now - assuming you have read the above posts - you know that a Dobsonian mount and Newtonian telescope is the style being recommended.

You are right if you think that they don't look like a 'real' telescope. They don't have the wondrous levers and counterweights that make a 'scope look like a 'scope. You even look through them by sticking your eye sideways at the front of the tube assembly; geez, how weird is that?

Do not be fooled. There are plenty of contributors to this site who use telescopes that look like the stereotypical telescope but, and I'm making a sweeping statement, I think you'll find that most of them are top quality gear costing many times more than my (for example) cheaper product.

Keep in mind too that, if your dream turns into a nightmare and you find that banging around in the dark is not really your 'thing', a cheap Newtonian with a decent aperture and Dob mount will be much easier to sell on than a cheap reflector on a 'wobbly' mount.

You will of course, if you have not already, need to find your way around the sky; I'm still learning. Then again, unless you buy something with a computerised data base that will take you to where you wish to look, you will have to do that anyway.

Whatever your final choice, Glenn, I wish you well.

Cheers,