Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-10-2013, 02:30 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Moving a 12" Dob

Ok, so early next year am seriously thinking about a telescope upgrade from my 8" Dob to a 12". Where I live currently, I move my scope about 5 metres from back garage door to the courtyard for viewing. Given this, how much trouble would moving a 12" be? I guess the question is, would a 12" be practical? Thanks.....
Old 16-10-2013, 02:45 PM
pixelsaurus (Mike)

Depends on how fit you are. My 12" GSO dob base weighs about 18kg with the tube about 20 kg. The base is easy to move but the tube requires a bit more care. If more than 10m, I hold the scope by the bottom and cradle lift it. I have to put it down and lift into the dec cradle by lifting on the dec axis stanchions. If for less than 10m, I just lift the tube by the stanchions and waddle my way forward. Not sure I will be able to do this in 10 years, maybe I should of gotten the 10" or even the 8". Oh well, Aperture fever rulz. Or I could put the whole thing on some kind of dolly and wheel it.
Old 16-10-2013, 03:01 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Yeah, thinking a wheely cart might be the go if I upgrade....although, then I might as well get a 16"...cept for the price!!! Thanks!
Old 16-10-2013, 04:32 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Moving a solid 12" is always an issue. I made a simple trolley (see http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=47433 ) which made life very easy.
Originally I used the foam from the box it came in to support the middle, then I made a wooden jig.
Other thing I did was make up a couple of webbing straps that attached with velcro and rigged up some simple handles to carry it. The base was still cumbersome but not so it discouraged me getting out with the scope!

Malcolm
Old 16-10-2013, 05:24 PM
glend (Glen)

I use a handtruck to move my 12" GSO from the shed to the viewing area, about 20 metres. Its moved as a single unit using the system written up in the Projects and Articles section of the forum and it no problem if your carefull.
Old 16-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Irish stargazer (John)

That's why I went with the 12" Lightbridge. Breaks down into manageable bits and fits in any car. Only takes a minute to set up and take down.