Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Paul-SunCoast (Paul)

New Member, new to astronomy

I'm sure this will indicate just how naive I am about astronomy but would appreciate advice. I am about to buy a Celestron CPC1100 never having had a powered telescope before, only an old Celestron 6" 'manual'. I would like to try my hand a astrophotography eventually once I've learned to use a telescope properly. Am I being too ambitious with my choice of telescope? I just didn't want to be changing equipment as my expertise improved. Anyone aware of a club here on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland?
Another request. I was intending ordering through BTOW but notice the comments from other members; does anyone have new information about BTOW? I've been in touch with "Keith" who does seem switched on but that doesn't necessarily get me a trouble free purchase.
Old 31-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Kunama

Hi and Welcome, I would hold off on buying anything while you read lots and lots of information on this forum, might save you lots and lots of $$$$ in the medium to long run.

Astrophotography costs are directly related to what you expect to image and what quality image you expect. Images that you see in magazines are not made with cheap equipment but rather are the result of lots of money, time, processing and patience.

However if your wish is to get some widefield photographs of the night sky, this can be achieved with a reasonably priced DSLR attached to a reasonable ED refractor or mirrored scope.

Everyone here will tell you to spend most of your money on a steady mount, some money on the scope and lots of time reading and processing.

Wisest ones here will tell you to get a feel for the hobby by going visual first (probably with an 8" to 12" dobsonian mounted newtonian reflector) and then later mortgage the house to pay for the AP gear.
Good luck.

Edit: There seems to be a large number of people on the Sunshine Coast getting into this pastime, it will serve you well to get to know some and compare notes before laying down a wad of cash. I know someone on the forum was looking at starting a club there and there are members at Kilcoy and Cambroon that are very knowledgeable and can guide you as to the best way to spend lots of $$$$.

I too am getting back into astronomy after along absence, being a photographer, I also want to get some imaging done but mostly enjoy visual rather than hanging around with a laptop while the scope and camera are having all the fun. My plan is to have a small (cheap) imaging rig and a large visual scope to enjoy while the camera is doing its thing.

Last edited by Kunama; 31-10-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 31-10-2012, 02:57 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Paul
A CPC1100 is an excellent scope for visual use, but you are paying top $$$ for it. I have looked through a couple of these and they give pleasing views, most recently was on my trip to Hawaii where the views of M51 through a CPC1100 were simply stunning.
Not usually used for imaging as it is fork mounted Alt Az rather than equatorial. It can be put on a wedge to use equatorially but not sure how many have done this and that sort of setup is not going to be particularly portable and more suited to a permanent setup (eg an observatory)

Malcolm
Old 31-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Curt

Hi PaulRegarding BTOW. I have had a great time buying my first 8 inch dob through Keith. I bought a couple of cheap plossls when l bought the scope and he said that if l want l can try the Meade 4000 kit. I ened up buying the Meade kit and Keith credited the plossls against it.
I also ended up buying my 16 inch lightbridge through Keith who was selling on behalf of a friend. He could have tried to sell me the skywatcher which he sells but instead put me onto the meade. Im not sure what other people's experience are but l have found them very helpfull. They are the only astro shop in Perth though.
Old 31-10-2012, 04:47 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Paul,

I was looking to start up a club, either at the university, or the farmland near by - still can't find the family that owns the land! (Will see Council) - it's the private land that seperates Caloundra from Sippy Downs etc. A large area, with a dirt road through the middle.

There's also a decent spot off the Bruce Highway near the pine plantation. LOTS of open space, and relatively free of LP except toward Caloundra.

Let me know if you want to talk, meet up etc and I can talk you through some stuff. My main area of interest is astrophotgraphy.
Old 31-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Paul-SunCoast (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Paul,

I was looking to start up a club, either at the university, or the farmland near by - still can't find the family that owns the land! (Will see Council) - it's the private land that seperates Caloundra from Sippy Downs etc. A large area, with a dirt road through the middle.

There's also a decent spot off the Bruce Highway near the pine plantation. LOTS of open space, and relatively free of LP except toward Caloundra.

Let me know if you want to talk, meet up etc and I can talk you through some stuff. My main area of interest is astrophotgraphy.
I would appreciate a meet-up sometime soon if you fancy a coffee and chat. I don't know if you have my email address - I did enter it when I joined IIS but don't know if you can reach it. Anyway paul.glynislander@gmail.com
We live in Caloundra but happy to move about the coast.
Old 31-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Paul-SunCoast (Paul)

Curt, thank you. I confess I looked at BTOW because they offer the best price for the kit and delivery costs are reasonable. Your experience is very positive; thanks for sharing it. Much appreciated. Paul
Old 31-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Paul-SunCoast (Paul)

Matt. Thanks. I've had one response from the Sunshine Coast so it might just be possible to meet up with some folk with experience. Much appreciate your advice. Thanks again. Paul
Old 31-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Paul-SunCoast (Paul)

Appreciate the advice. I've read elsewhere about a wedge being used successfully on the CPC so that may be ok. The photography element is way down the track at the moment; first find my way around the night sky. Good advice and grateful to receive it. Paul
Old 31-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Kunama

Paul and Lewis,
A lot of the land in that area, especially around Kawana Island/Kawana Waters belongs to Ron Grabbe (RGD Developments) who built most of the units in that area. The uni might be agreeable but will require all sorts of liability waivers.

Light pollution is one of the reasons I am no longer there (used to live in Mooloolaba) although I still have a townhouse in Buderim.

When I lived there I would usually take my scope up toward Maleny etc for a darker site.

Would loved to have had a CPC 1100 then.
Old 31-10-2012, 08:02 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

Hi Paul,

The views through a CPC 1100 would be stunning, very similar to my 12” LX200, these scopes are big and heavy but if careful can be transportable in a medium to large size sedan car as I use. As I have found Astrophotography is a large learning curve requiring quite a lot of time and money so before you start down that road prepare well by learning as much as you can. The Alt/Az setup of the CPC 1100 will be great for visual use and reasonable for imaging, but if you want to get serious about imaging an equatorial wedge is needed.

Another member here living close by who uses a Celestron CPC 1100 is HELO (Peter) from Caloundra it is mounted on a wedge inside an Observatory Dome at Glenview I think.

Some of Peters shots with a CPC 1100 are below
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=844154&postcount=1

Alt /Az photography can work with reasonable results by using the right settings and processing techniques but if you want very sharp good results an EQ setup with a wedge would be best

These photo’s are of my first attempts at Alt/Az Astro Photography this may help you to get an idea of what your scope may be capable of in Alt/Az setup with a DSLR Camera.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=893994&postcount=1

Photo’s of the Equipment I use is below
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=910127&postcount=782

I hope this helps you a little.
Wayne.
Old 21-11-2012, 02:39 AM
Paul-SunCoast (Paul)

I thought I would update you on the purchasing decision. I was impressed with the advice that no one telescope is perfect for all purposes but at the same time I did not want to put myself in a position where buying more than one telescope was going to be necessary in the short term. So after a lot of reading of advice and reviews I have put a deposit on a Meade LX80 10" AZ/EQ for delivery in January 2013. I hope the 'hybrid' will fulfil initially my viewing requirements and eventually allow me to try astrophotography. When I take delivery I will put more in here about my experiences with it, if that would be useful.
Thanks all for the help and advice