Jen
Moving to Pandora

woohoo congrats Suzy on your new toy

Bella (willdofornow) till you get to play with a 16" + scope

Glad you even got clear skies for it too
Old 05-07-2010, 11:34 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Congrats Suzy on your new baby - and on getting to try it first night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd_2 View Post
About a month ago, I left the sliding glass door open to our pergola, and just closed the sliding screen door in front of it as I went out for the nights observing. Some time during that evening, my wife closed the sliding glass door behind the screen door. As I didn't know about this minor detail, I went to walk back inside at about 1am that morning - opened the screen door and walked face first straight into the glass door
Rats. I managed to forget I closed the security screen door after me one night, and later powered into it full speed in the dark. Everyone at work wanted to know what the blood and cross-hatch pattern on my nose was for a week ...
(at least I know Crimsafe is as strong as they say now, and surprised the neighbours didn't call the police the amount of noise I made at 1am bouncing off it... )
Old 06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Congratulations Suzy! You will get an enormous mount of fun with that scope.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:53 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Well done, Suz - good size. Enjoy those clear skies soon.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

To Craig, Leon, Kevin, Malcolm, Carl, Jen, Rob, Patrick & Stephen- thankyou all so very much for your wonderful replies.

Malcolm, thanks for the link, I had a look, but wouldn't be suitable as I need to move the scope & mount together. The scope is too heavy for me to pop into the base each time I want to move it around the yard (I move around a lot because of trees). But I appreciate your help anyway.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:54 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Congratulations Suzy on the new purchase, if that's not big enough I believe Argonavis (William) has his big dob for sale....
Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Jaybee (John)

Congratulations on the New Scope Suzy!
Now let us in on the secret...Go on.. Tell us..
How did you keep the Moistons from escaping! Thats the only explanation for
clear sky's! Tell us...p l e a s e...
Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Quote:
Thank you Dean.
What kind of wheels did you end up getting and how's the performance over grass?
Sorry for the late response. The wheels are the type that have a square mounting plate with 4 screw holes in it. The wheels are about 2 1/2" in diameter, and have a locking lever that locks the rotation of the wheel as well as the wheel's axial rotation. I only drive my scope across pavers and haven't tried these wheels on grass. Certainly they're easy to mount under the base of a dob, but the scope really needs to be up on blocks when it has been put into position. This is especially so if you're using an Argo etc where pointing accuracy is important (ie. you don't want wheels moving slightly this way and that as you point the scope).

I guess you might be better off with pneumatic wheels if you have to drive (slowly) over grass. I know that there are JMI and Scopebuggy solutions that you may be able to copy if hubby is a welder

Dean
Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
Congratulations Suzy on the new purchase, if that's not big enough I believe Argonavis (William) has his big dob for sale....
Thanks Phil, but I have decided scopes that will cause my nose to bleed and my ears to pop are off limits to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd_2 View Post
Sorry for the late response. The wheels are the type that have a square mounting plate with 4 screw holes in it. The wheels are about 2 1/2" in diameter, and have a locking lever that locks the rotation of the wheel as well as the wheel's axial rotation. I only drive my scope across pavers and haven't tried these wheels on grass. Certainly they're easy to mount under the base of a dob, but the scope really needs to be up on blocks when it has been put into position. This is especially so if you're using an Argo etc where pointing accuracy is important (ie. you don't want wheels moving slightly this way and that as you point the scope).

I guess you might be better off with pneumatic wheels if you have to drive (slowly) over grass. I know that there are JMI and Scopebuggy solutions that you may be able to copy if hubby is a welder

Dean
Thanks for the info Dean. Yep, hubby is a welder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Congratulations on the New Scope Suzy!
Now let us in on the secret...Go on.. Tell us..
How did you keep the Moistons from escaping! Thats the only explanation for
clear sky's! Tell us...p l e a s e...

Okay, here's the secret.....
First you have to find a dog with one grey hair on its ear and pluck it out, then a snail (alive) with a broken shell (you breaking it doesn't count), then an ancient artifact from the tomb of king Tutt, a nail clipping from a bird with a golden feather, a lock of hair from Jon Bon Jovi, a fragment of martian rock that landed in the arctic, put all these items in a pot of boiling water for 2 hours, then mash and rub onto the scope tube, whilst it's drying, run around the yard in your birthday suit yelling "skies be clear" 5 times.
Let me know how you go. Should be able to google or ebay most of this stuff. We all know it's worth the trouble just to get to use our scopes straight away, right?!

Last edited by Suzy; 09-07-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

lol Suzy arrrrrhhhh the Bon Jovi hair the guys will never get hold of that
Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Jaybee (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post

Okay, here's the secret.....
First you have to find a dog with one grey hair on its ear and pluck it out, then a snail (alive) with a broken shell (you breaking it doesn't count), then an ancient artifact from the tomb of king Tutt, a nail clipping from a bird with a golden feather, a lock of hair from Jon Bon Jovi, a fragment of martian rock that landed in the arctic, put all these items in a pot of boiling water for 2 hours, then mash and rub onto the scope tube, whilst it's drying, run around the yard in your birthday suit yelling "skies be clear" 5 times.
Let me know how you go. Should be able to google or ebay most of this stuff. We all know it's worth the trouble just to get to use our scopes straight away, right?!
RIght-O....That was going to be my next guess! Tch..sometimes the solution is just staring you in the face and you don't see it..
Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
You can substitute with a tea spoon of jam made with a single hair from Princess Diana.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...-made-into-jam
Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Rats. I managed to forget I closed the security screen door after me one night, and later powered into it full speed in the dark. Everyone at work wanted to know what the blood and cross-hatch pattern on my nose was for a week ...
(at least I know Crimsafe is as strong as they say now, and surprised the neighbours didn't call the police the amount of noise I made at 1am bouncing off it... )
Be honest Rob, she got you didn't she.... . Seems our own front door are our own worst enemies at night (me included- raw knuckles from bashing door down to get back in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
RIght-O....That was going to be my next guess! Tch..sometimes the solution is just staring you in the face and you don't see it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
See below for a substitute.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
You can substitute with a tea spoon of jam made with a single hair from Princess Diana.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...-made-into-jam
I did tell you google and ebay wouldn't be a problem
Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Somewhere back at the beginning of this thread we were talking about new telescopes????

What eyepieces do you have Suzy? Perhaps an upgrade is warranted now? Edit - I just looked at your sig - Pentax XW, Vixen LVW - looking good! Maybe a Panoptic 27mm?