Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2014, 12:56 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Opposition of Saturn

Hi all,
Would I be correct in saying that in a scope of 8" app. that there isn't alot of discernable difference between a planet (like Saturn) at opposition and one a long while after? ('Cept for Mars of course)

Thanks
Old 12-05-2014, 01:53 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

I would agree that is correct.

For the slow-moving superior planets, it takes some weeks either side of opposition before the apparent size changes appreciably. The faster moving inferior planets move about the sky and change their brightness and appearance quite quickly, so you need to grab the ideal viewing windows when they arise, or wait some weeks / months for the next opportunities.

The biggest noticeable difference a week or two each side of opposition is the time of rising, transit and setting, and what this means for optimal viewing. The higher in the sky it is, the less atmosphere you are looking through, but you may prefer to view a bit earlier or later than transit at opposition (close to midnight) so that your telescope is "comfortable".

E.g. my Celestron SLT 130 GoTo mount has a "blind spot" around the zenith which it can't reach, to ensure the bottom of the telescope never hits the mount and tripod, so I need to view the planets an hour or two before transit, or an hour or two after transit, when their elevation is not too high. Right now is ideal for Saturn for me, when it is halfway up the sky in mid-evening.