Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-03-2014, 09:09 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Keeping a Telescope in a Garden/Backyard

I was just wondering if there are size limits for telescopes you keep in your backyard or garden. While I live in an apartment at the moment, I would like to move one day and was just wondering if you can keep any telescope in your own backyard/garden or if there are rules. Or maybe it depends on the place where you are and the Council regulations?
Thanks for your opinion!
Old 25-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

For "normal" amateur scopes there should be no problems.
If you have a 60" scope - that may be a different issue ;-)
It's the probable/ possible observatory build that becomes a Council Approval issue.
Normally up to 3 x 3mtr and 2.5mtr high will be OK. Depends on your local regulations.
Old 25-03-2014, 09:34 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thanks. 3 x 3mtr and 2.5mtr high should be enough.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:24 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

B-but my eyepiece height at zenith is 2.7m
Old 10-04-2014, 06:18 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Haven't you got one of these Barry? http://www.toolstop.co.uk/components...139ae10f6b.jpg
Just shorten it a bit.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Haven't you got one of these Barry? http://www.toolstop.co.uk/components...139ae10f6b.jpg
Just shorten it a bit.
Hmmm yes I'm hearing ya, F3.6 it is then!.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

LOL, my council doesn't even mention an observatory in their guidelines.

When I enquired the council basically said if it's not in the guidelines then they weren't interested. They kept asking if it's a conservatory which needs approval.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Ric,
"For the purposes of discussion" - just call in a shed.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:34 PM
doppler (Rick)

Unauthorised constructions are usually only an issue if they are still there when you sell the property.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:44 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
Unauthorised constructions are usually only an issue if they are still there when you sell the property.
I would be happy to find an obs if I buy a property though. Even better with a scope in it.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Yeah, you may get away with it until the local authorities need to get to your easements for repair/ replace....they win- you loose.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Yeah, you may get away with it until the local authorities need to get to your easements for repair/ replace....they win- you loose.

Just don't put your obs over any pipes/cables... the middle of the backyard is usually safe. The only time our council does anything is when someone (ie a neighbour) complains.
Old 16-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
I was just wondering if there are size limits for telescopes you keep in your backyard or garden. While I live in an apartment at the moment, I would like to move one day and was just wondering if you can keep any telescope in your own backyard/garden or if there are rules. Or maybe it depends on the place where you are and the Council regulations?
Thanks for your opinion!
Hi OzSG,

When I built my Sirius observatory, I only had to be a certain distance from the fence line and it couldn't exceed a certain height, from ground level, by state regulations. You will have to check with your local council, and as long as you abide by the building code, they cannot prevent you building an observatory in your back yard.

I did have to get a building permit (which is a cash grab rip off), even though I was just bolting it together. I did have an issue with my council about the concrete pad, as I had already put it down, as I had a certificate from Water Corp, which cost me nothing, providing permission to build above the deep sewerage. My council, being the little, nice people that they are, having had issues with them over getting a light shaded, required me to rip up my concrete pad, as they required that the pad have steel mesh reinforcing. Having already got the Water Corp certificate, at no cost, I still had to pay the council to get this certificate anyway, even though I had only got the certificate the week before

This was, blatantly ridiculous, and I was going to take them to the administration tribunal, as nothing in their laws, required a non load bearing surface to have mesh reinforcing. The Sirius observatories are very light. I got an engineers report, and they approved it, in the end.

I beat the council, over having a street light shaded. They initially refused on safety grounds, however, this was not actually a concern, as it would not have affected the light on the road or foot path, as it was only shading back light. The people next door had a big tree, that blocked the light, but they chopped it down. I won and had the light shaded, but the council, in their infinity wisdom, decided to get back at me for beating them, and made life difficult for me. It isn't wise taking on a council, it cost me.

I was lucky that I knew my laws, as family are builders. As long as you stay within the restrictions, you will have no issues.

It is a cautionary tale, make sure you have the go ahead before actually commencing any work.

One word of caution, if you are locating it close to a fence, make sure you reinforce the fence. I have lost my back fence a couple of times, due to storms, so you will note that I have constructed a barrier, made from some old scaffolding, to prevent the fence from falling onto my observatory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20130602_141.JPG)
136.5 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (20130602_142.JPG)
141.0 KB41 views

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 17-04-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 16-04-2014, 07:00 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

That's nice Peter.....

Flash.....
Old 17-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
That's nice Peter.....

Flash.....
Thanks Flash. The irony is, at the moment, I don't use it, since getting the WO 110 FLT. However, I suspect that, come those clear chilly winter nights, I will start using it again, as it is nicer in the dome, particularly against the wind chill factor.

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 17-04-2014 at 03:08 PM.