Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-04-2014, 09:54 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Sorry if this is a basic question, and I don't want to hijack Ian's thread, but I was just wondering what the advantages of a webcam over prime focus would be? Of course it depends on the webcam and the DSLR camera, but in general...?
Old 30-04-2014, 10:39 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
Sorry if this is a basic question, and I don't want to hijack Ian's thread, but I was just wondering what the advantages of a webcam over prime focus would be? Of course it depends on the webcam and the DSLR camera, but in general...?
A webcam-based planetary camera is cheap and light, and just fits straight into the focuser like a normal eyepiece, but it is not very sensitive so it is limited to bright "planetary" targets. Individual exposures are short, but you can stack the frames from a video to make a better quality composite image. (An unmodified webcam with its original lens can be used for afocal photography through a standard eyepiece, just as you can shoot with pocket digital camera or smartphone, but a webcam-based "digital eyepiece" for a telescope has no lens and is used with the sensor at "prime focus".)

Dedicated astronomical CCD cameras work in much the same way, but have sensor cooling and different (more expensive!) hardware to allow for direct long-exposure shooting onto the sensor.

Using a DSLR at prime focus is much bigger and heavier than a webcam-based camera, so it demands more overall rigidity in the mount and focuser than you can get away with a webcam, and may also require some adjustment to your telescope's counterweights to compensate for all that weight hanging off the focuser, but it allows you to use the bigger sensor, longer exposures, higher ISO sensitivity, etc that the DSLR permits.
Old 30-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Has anyone successfully used a webcam + registax for the brighter DSOs, e.g M42, Eta Carina, Omega Cen etc.? I was thinking of mucking about with this option using my Neximage 5 (only done planetary so far...)
Old 30-04-2014, 11:23 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thanks, Julian!
Old 30-04-2014, 05:28 PM
ianB (Ian)

Thats ok Oz, ask whatever you want i am following the conversation and will look out for the review in a few weeks.
Old 30-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
Has anyone successfully used a webcam + registax for the brighter DSOs, e.g M42, Eta Carina, Omega Cen etc.? I was thinking of mucking about with this option using my Neximage 5 (only done planetary so far...)
One of the problems is FOV...which is a factor of the dimensions of the chip. Planetary cameras tend to feature small chips and run at high frame rates. For DSOs you want the opposite...large chips and long exposure. Exceptions disregarded of course!

I once tried to get a DSO in the FOV of my QHY and it was futile! It's roughly the equivalent of a 7mm eyepiece which with a C8 is almost 300x.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:28 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
Well, I just picked it up for a final price of AU $105 plus postage - it just goes to show that sometimes you CAN pick up a bargain!

I'll report back on how it performs in a couple of weeks when it arrives. (I'll even test it out on a few galaxies, but I won't hold my breath in expectation of any results! )
You should get it soon. I got one of their items in just a week...
I hope clouds won't spoil viewing and that you will be able to let us know how it works soon.