Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-04-2014, 01:28 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Modified Canon 300D kit

Purchased a few years ago from a noted Astro-photographer member of the Western Suburbs Astronomy Group. He had the IR-UV blocking filter removed but not replaced with anything. As a result this is now an astronomy only camera. The camera was hardly used by me and has been in a case all the time. There is a small cosmetic scuff mark on the left front shoulder, otherwise the camera is in very good condition. The kit comes with:-
-Pelican style padded case
-Silver Camera body (with body cap) Canon DS6041
-All manuals and disks
-all cables, including a long time exposure control cable
-two batteries
-fast battery charger Canon DS8101
-mains battery eliminator Canon DS8111
-Orion 2" T-adapter
-Canon mount T adapter
-Sandisk 512mb compact flash card
-Sandisk Ultra 512mb compact flash card
Asking $225 including postage within Australia, I can throw in a Canon EF35-80mm kit lens, however due the the mod the auto focus will not give correct results.

For those who are unfamiliar with this type of modification to a Canon, the filter has been remove to give it better sensitivity to narrow band radiation. It will need to be used with selective filters which you will need to buy separately. Additionally you may wish to buy a filter wheel to make selecting filter more convenient. This is a 6 mega pixel camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3160.JPG)
73.5 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3162.JPG)
63.5 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3163.JPG)
90.4 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3181.JPG)
55.0 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3184.JPG)
63.3 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3190.JPG)
82.8 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3188.JPG)
94.3 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3177.JPG)
54.0 KB17 views

Last edited by rogerco; 29-04-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 20-04-2014, 03:38 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Offers will be considered
Old 20-04-2014, 11:04 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Em.. 100 looks no takers. Ok $175 plus delivery if required. I can deliver in the Blue Mountains or Western Sydney.

I don't have any sample photos, if the weather clears and I have the time I will try it on something.
Old 21-04-2014, 12:49 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Out of interest how did you control the 300D - as a Digic 1 chip what software could control this Roger?
Old 21-04-2014, 04:11 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Its a while since I used it. I got it just after I first got into astronomy. Got fed up with the weather and put it away for a year or more before coming back. I don't think I ever did do more than thirty second exposures and I just used the Canon software to do that. The disk has a "Remote Capture" program plus Twain and WIA drivers, I think I might have used evaluation copies of MaximDL as well.

I really didn't use it much at all. If this weather holds out I'll try sticking it on my current mount and scope and seeing if I can come up with some halfway decent photos. I know the camera is capable of good things because Narayan produced some very nice pictures before he upgrade to a dedicated cooled astronomy camera.

Edit: looked up some notes, looks like I was playing with a program called DSLR Focus which has a capture mode as well as a focus aid mode and uses a serial cable to control the shutter for exposures over 30sec. The cable I have is that serial cable, so the computer would need a serial socket to use that, plus that program doesn't support Windows 7 let alone 8 so it might need a legacy machine running XP. The disks I have are original but I am assuming Canon still supports it with downloads of the latest version.

Last edited by rogerco; 21-04-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 22-04-2014, 06:56 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Lotza looks but no offers. Ok $125 plus postage but that's it. If I can't get that for it then Ill find a use for it.
Old 23-04-2014, 07:39 AM
GC - South Aus

I'll take the 300D

G'day Roger

I'll take it off your hands. Sending PM.

Cheers Gav