Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 30-03-2014, 04:57 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Store warranty

Hello,

Do you think it is convenient to buy from a non-authorized Celestron seller who only offers a 3-month warranty if the price is better?

Thanks for your opinion!
Old 30-03-2014, 07:46 AM
glend (Glen)

How much better justifies the buy? It comes down to your knowledge of the product and the level of risk your comfortable with. If you know scopes and can spot problems then maybe, if your totally green then buy from someone who will support. You have to ask where did this item come from and into their possession.
Old 30-03-2014, 09:37 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thanks for the reply. Well, they sell MANY Celestron items and have good reviews, they are just not an authorized seller (this may also be the reason why their prices are lower? - a little bit like Andrews, although it is not Andrews)
Unfortunately I don't know much about small refractors, but I wouldn't use that scope much anyway, so if I treat it carefully.... Only for the sun and occasional travelling...
Old 30-03-2014, 10:44 AM
cfranks (Charles)

If it is an Overseas seller (especially Indonesia) I would advise you don't touch it. Also, aren't Australian commercial sellers obliged to give 1 year warranty?
Old 30-03-2014, 10:56 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

It is an Australian seller. That's why I found it attractive. I mean, to send something back from here to overseas is a nightmare and practically impossible for something heavy because it would cost a fortune.
I don't know if Aussie sellers are obliged to give a 1-year warranty, but I would be interested to know for sure...
Old 30-03-2014, 12:01 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

OK, I just read that A warranty is a voluntary promise offered by the person or business who sold the product or service to you. Once you buy the product or service, the promise becomes a right that can be enforced under the ACL.
Warranties are separate from your automatic consumer guarantees. The consumer guarantees which apply regardless of any warranties suppliers sell or give to you, apply for a reasonable time depending on the nature of the goods or services. This means consumer guarantees may continue to apply after the time period for the warranty has expired.

Old 30-03-2014, 03:08 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
OK, I just read that A warranty is a voluntary promise offered by the person or business who sold the product or service to you. Once you buy the product or service, the promise becomes a right that can be enforced under the ACL.
Warranties are separate from your automatic consumer guarantees. The consumer guarantees which apply regardless of any warranties suppliers sell or give to you, apply for a reasonable time depending on the nature of the goods or services. This means consumer guarantees may continue to apply after the time period for the warranty has expired.

Hi,

Agreed. When you read the uniform consumer rights law, you see that the customer has this right, and the retailer cannot exclude it, even if you sign a sales agreement for something less (you cannot sign away your rights at law).

Also the retailer cannot refer you to the manufacturer if you don't want to take that path. Sometimes it is advantageous to do so, but the first recourse is with whoever you paid the money to.

Sometimes a retailer will say it is a minor fault, so they are not obliged to do something. Not true, they always are, in this reasonable period. A MAJOR fault is something which would if known cause a buyer to turn away from purchasing. That covers most.

A reasonable time for astro gear to last would definitely be one year at least, I reckon more.

Of course all that is in a reasonable world. Sometimes a great deal of coercion is required before a retailer will face reality.

Cheers
Old 30-03-2014, 04:56 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thanks, yes, I agree too.
By the way, what are the major faults that can occur in a small refractor?
Old 30-03-2014, 05:06 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Thanks, yes, I agree too.
By the way, what are the major faults that can occur in a small refractor?
Overall construction quality can sometimes be "cheap" plasticy, mount wobbly. The focuser will probably be plastic and have slop. The lens may or may not be much chop. The eyepieces that come with it are almost certainly rubbish.

But... which Celestron are you referring to?
Old 30-03-2014, 06:31 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

I haven't quite made up my mind yet... I was thinking of either the Powerseeker or the Travel Scope (both 70mm). However for an airplane the Powerseeker is a bit too long and heavy and they would want to have it in the cabin anyway because you can't keep objects of that shape (I mean so long) on a plane. Of course it is longer so the magnification is higher, but I don't need a new scope. I only wanted it for travelling, maybe walking (even here - terrestrial viewing), and for the sun, so maybe the Travel Scope is better? I already have a 2X and even a 3X Barlow anyway, so they would help with magnification.

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 30-03-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 30-03-2014, 06:58 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

For a travel scope, what about something like this ---> http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-042D

Or this ---> http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-042G
Old 30-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Derek Klepp

No
Old 30-03-2014, 08:14 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
They look nice, thanks!

Edit: Oh, here http://www.ozhut.com.au/skywatcher-8...telescope.html it says that the 80mm one weighs 9 kilos... I guess it is the sturdy tripod that weighs so much? Unfortunately that would be too much for me to carry around...

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 30-03-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Myastro also sell the Vixen 80mm refractor OTA for $245 and this is an excellent scope. No obvious Chromatic Aberration even on the moon. Highly recommend it.
Find a cheap suitable mount and it would be an excellent scope.
Old 30-03-2014, 11:27 PM
raymo

I have the SW80. The ad is wrong; it weighs 5.5kg complete with a
6x30mm finder, as stated in the ad, but shown in the ad with a red
dot finder. The tripod is amazing for the money, rock solid.
The optics are also amazing for the money[especially as I got mine
for $199 from the now defunct B.T.O.W.] The one shortcoming with
mine is the focuser has some flop, but I slightly nip the focuser lock
screw which takes care of that. CA is very slight indeed.
raymo
Old 31-03-2014, 01:30 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Am I the only one who is concerned about the mention of the OP wanting to use a refractor to look at the sun but no mention of a suitable filter???

I certainly hope OzStarGazer has a suitable Mylar (Baader) film or something similar in mind that is safe to use on the sun before they burn a hole right through the back of their head!

Also, on the original topic, the question was never answered as to how much cheaper the non-authorised dealer scope was?

I would steer clear of any scope that was cheap, simply because 1) It is probably crap, 2) the others suggested are much better than the 70mm powerseeker and 3) it is probably crap.....

Also, if you are thinking of walking with it, then what is wrong with a decent set of binoculars? Light, convenient and a tripod for them would easily fit in a backpack without all the hassle of a tube and the extra weight?

IMO you get what you pay for, a decent Skywatcher 80mm or the excellent Vixen that Trevor mentioned would easily fit in a padded camera backpack and would no doubt last longer and get used more than a cheap as chips scope.

Just my opinions,

Cheers

Chris
Old 31-03-2014, 05:32 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Yes, I intended to buy a solar filter of course. I can't use a filter with my scope because it is a collapsible dob... (It is a Skywatcher 130p.) That's one of the reasons why I wanted a small refractor. For travelling and the sun. But my main normal scope would remain the Skywatcher 130p of course. I am quite happy with it.
Thanks for the suggestions!!! I will think about it. But... I am actually a girl (not clear from my user name... ) and even 5.5 kilos is a bit much for me for walking around... I was thinking of something under 2 kilos... The last time I travelled I had to struggle to put my main backpack (about 25 kilos) on the airport trolley...
PS: I also live near the Botanic Gardens for example and I like to go up the hill to have a wonderful view and I think it would be nice with a telescope, but it should be really light...

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 31-03-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 31-03-2014, 10:37 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

One of these on a camera tripod? http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-045F

The only thing lighter that's worth buying are binoculars.
Old 31-03-2014, 10:45 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
One of these on a camera tripod? http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-045F

The only thing lighter that's worth buying are binoculars.
Thanks, that looks very nice! I do have a good tripod, so I wouldn't even have to buy one...

Edit: How do I find objects with it? I guess I need an additional finderscope?

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 31-03-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 31-03-2014, 11:01 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
They look nice, thanks!

Edit: Oh, here http://www.ozhut.com.au/skywatcher-8...telescope.html it says that the 80mm one weighs 9 kilos... I guess it is the sturdy tripod that weighs so much? Unfortunately that would be too much for me to carry around...
9 kg must be for the whole kit including tripod and mount. I have a 90 mm / 500 mm short tube refractor, and the telescope weighs about 2.5 kg including diagonal, eyepiece and finderscope. A typical 80 mm / 400 mm short tube should come in at around 2 kg.(plus the weight of a lightweight tripod).