Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-04-2007, 01:18 AM
DJVege

Cool What considerations when "seeing"???

Hi guys! I was just wondering, as we're getting into winter, what considerations should I take into account when taking the ol' telescope outside for a 'gander'?? I know about cool down time, which you'd assume would be longer in winter if your scope is kept inside, but is there anything else?

By the way, Friday night was my first night out on my lonesome using my telescope!!!! Saw Saturn, Jupiter, Omega, Rigil Kentauras (Alpha - could almost see the split).. Can't wait to get a barlow and more EPs.

...DJVege...
Old 22-04-2007, 11:05 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

seeing at its basic level is two things

1. is your mirror at ambient?
2. is the atmosphere nice and still

1. 1 to 2 hours should see the mirror the same temp as your ambient, BUT, the ambient temp normally keeps dropping................but being in brisbane your overnight lows are not a long way from you day time highs.

Here in tassie, we might have 20 degrees during the day and 0 at night........20 degrees for a piece of glass to lose is difficult, hence I help it along by cooling

2. http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/6panel...panel_aus.html and http://www.wunderground.com/auto/vir...JetStream.html are two sites i always look at. what are the predictions for no movement in the air. Tuesday is looking goiod for tassie.....basically (as we already know) brisbane is still crap for seeing at the moment

get a feel for the twinkle of stars, if there is no twinkle, then it should be a good night

dp
Old 22-04-2007, 11:28 AM
DJVege

Thanks dp! Appreciate it. I'm actually in Rockhampton till September!

Do I need to worry about any moisture at all, forming on the scope's mirrors?? Does that happen?

...DJVege...
Old 22-04-2007, 11:52 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

well, rockhampton may be slightly above the mess of those fronts coming through!

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/observ...ime&10min=true

i always check the dewpoint to see if i will get moisture...........down here in winter a hair dryer is a must to get rid of moisture and ice!